CHE vs. basking bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeanBean

Hello! Please forgive me if I seem ignorant, but I have been wondering why it is that CHE's cannot be used as the main source of heat in an enclosure during the day. Every basking bulb I have purchased fails within a year (and they are in the correct dome) whereas the ceramic heat emitters I have for a few of my snakes last many years and are much less fragile! Is it something to do with the strength of the beam? I'm sure that someone has answered this at one point, but I can't seem to find it. Thank you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It's mainly due to the fact that it puts off no light. dragons are sun worshipers, we need to try to mimic natural light and light behaviors as possible. A random hotspot without any visible beam of light accompanying it is very unnatural.

Additionally, a nice bright basking bulb helps protect the pupils from the damaging uv radiation by keeping the pupils dilated.

Basically, we dont even come close to mimicking the sun and light they expect, so taking away even part of the tools that we have to achieve that goal is counterproductive IMO.

I just use normal household bulbs for basking bulbs. They last me many months at a time. And I usually get them for only a couple bucks a bulb.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
In order for digestion to begin temps need to be a certain temp a CHE's cannot provide that - you need basking temps to be 95-110 for an adult or 105-110 for a baby --- some others on here can also give reasons why as well -- what kind of basking bulbs are you using ? they do burn out quicker because of the intensity - some on here use Par 38 halogen bulbs but then they cannot go on top of tank they are too hot and need to be hung above so your not burning your dragon up w/ them sitting on the screen - I use the Zoo Med Exo Terro 150 watt bulb -
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Kinda stupid it doesn't give off LIGHT beardie and other reptiles need UVA light to see color and even stimulate feeding response etc ceramic heat emitters should only be used at nig relief our tempature drop too low not to confuse uva wth uvb which they need to break down and recieve calcium snakes and lizards are totally different

MeanBean

Original Poster
Thank you, Claudius. That does make sense!
Hello Karrie! I use the ExoTerra 150 as well; I just didn't know if there was a longer lasting option.
Wickedpogana: Alrighty (I am very much aware that snakes and lizards are, indeed, not the same)

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
MeanBean":3ja8y9fa said:
Thank you, Claudius. That does make sense!
Hello Karrie! I use the ExoTerra 150 as well; I just didn't know if there was a longer lasting option.
Wickedpogana: Alrighty
To Increase bulb life move it less and even light timers have seem to make mine last longer in my experience the exo terra ones last longer then zoo meds supposed #1 basking bulb

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
The basking bulbs are cheap it's those damn 40$ uvb lights that worry me lol if you dont have a uv meter you dont know what output your getting

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The bulbs are around $20 or so and if you replace them when your supposed to sometimes a little earlier then you should be good
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":frw8f1hn said:
The bulbs are around $20 or so and if you replace them when your supposed to sometimes a little earlier then you should be good
Karrie
At my local pet store specifically yesterday when my basking bulb went out was 13$ and u can always buy them online ahead of time and save like half ur money but in times when on crashes at random u have no choice but to run to the pet store and pay the upcharge online is always cheaper if it's not too cold where your at always good to bring him out in the sun 1 hour of natural sun is equal to 18 hours of artificial. When my light did go out I kept him asleep and had his ceramic bulb on I mean I've has my ceramic bulb on pointed at his coolside to warm it up and when I do that he does roam over there more but with live plants on my cool side I dont heat it too much. cold is good for them especially when they sleep not under 65 though by cool side around 75 to 80

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":16ens2ix said:
Additionally, a nice bright basking bulb helps protect the pupils from the damaging uv radiation by keeping the pupils dilated.
I think you meant to say contracted; dilated is when they open wider. :wink:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
MeanBean":39zixxjt said:
I use the ExoTerra 150 as well; I just didn't know if there was a longer lasting option.
I use an incandescent flood. I picked up 2 today for $6. They're rated to last 2 yrs. @ 3hrs./day. Divide by 4 (for 12 hrs/day) equates to about 6 months. But @ $3 ea., that's still not bad. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom