Help I broke the basking light! Dang!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I found a Sylvania Halogen that looks like 70 watt 600 lumens. Will that hold him until I can get another? It's the only one I could find in my house that isn't LED. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm using it, will keep checking the temps, which I do all the time anyway. It looks as bright or brighter than the one I broke, hope it will give off enough heat.
-Dee
Edit - It's just a household bulb, was in the bathroom and wasn't replaced with LED yet, apparently. Keeping fingers crossed because I'm not able to drive right now and will have to order online and have delivered. ?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I just found a Sunbeam BR30 Indoor Flood Light in the cabinet. 65 watt 530 Lumens but still in box, I remember buying it recently because it was cheap and I thought it would work in emergency. (Like breaking his dang bulb!)
Would this be better? Does it matter as long as temps on his basking spot is correct?
-Dee

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I use a 75W standard floodlight for both of mine with no problems. The main thing is to get a spot up to standard basking temp with a white-light bulb. IMO the "basking bulbs" sold in pet stores are just a quick buck for the companies and no better for the purpose. The outdoor floods are a bit more sturdy too :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Doesnt matter as long as it produces the temps you need. If it does, no reason to even change it back :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Aaradimian":2rjrv9vb said:
I use a 75W standard floodlight for both of mine with no problems. The main thing is to get a spot up to standard basking temp with a white-light bulb. IMO the "basking bulbs" sold in pet stores are just a quick buck for the companies and no better for the purpose. The outdoor floods are a bit more sturdy too :wink:
Well, seems I ought to be able to get the temp up then. I found about 4 household bulbs non LED and the flood light. One of those should work. Thanks so much!
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3k6p7592 said:
Doesnt matter as long as it produces the temps you need. If it does, no reason to even change it back :)

-Brandon

Great! That's what I was hoping for! The one in it now is not quite doing it. Basking spot is only getting to 94.3F and I try to keep at 96-98F. It's been in there 3 hrs, so its not gonna get any warmer, I'm guessing. Will change it out and try another. Thanks!
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Decided to lower this one and see if I can get it a little warmer. It was about 1-1.5 inches above the lid, so basicly brought it down touching the steel mesh. We'll see if that takes care of it for now.?
-Dee

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
DragonPete":278zul46 said:
Decided to lower this one and see if I can get it a little warmer. It was about 1-1.5 inches above the lid, so basicly brought it down touching the steel mesh. We'll see if that takes care of it for now.?
-Dee
One of the best investments I made for my two was a dimmer cord. You can get a floodlight and then dial in the temperature very accurately without having to mess with distances (beyond making sure that the bulb is close enough to achieve the correct temp at something less than full power on the dimmer setting). Not only does it make life easier to get to the temp. sweet spot, but if you have a variable temp environment like near a window, you can adjust on the fly. This has helped a lot with my one dragon Otto's setup because in full sun things can get too warm, but the opposite if it's a cloudy, cold day outside and the window chills the surrounding air.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Aaradimian":2yop9m85 said:
DragonPete":2yop9m85 said:
-Dee
One of the best investments I made for my two was a dimmer cord. You can get a floodlight and then dial in the temperature very accurately without having to mess with distances (beyond making sure that the bulb is close enough to achieve the correct temp at something less than full power on the dimmer setting). Not only does it make life easier to get to the temp. sweet spot, but if you have a variable temp environment like near a window, you can adjust on the fly. This has helped a lot with my one dragon Otto's setup because in full sun things can get too warm, but the opposite if it's a cloudy, cold day outside and the window chills the surrounding air.

Thank you. I noticed on the flood light box it says 'dimmable'. His tank isn't near a window but his temps will vary considerably with changes in house temps. My heat is set at 66F so that's as cool as he will ever get. But this past week we have had temps of up to 74F and his basking temp when up to 106+ and cool side at 78+. So I check his numbers often and adjust distance as needed. Will have to look into getting a dimmer for his light. If the flood light I have ends up working for him, haven't tried it yet, I'm going back to see if they have any more and look for a dimmer. Thanks again. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So here we go. Lifted it up a bit, went up to 102+ that fast. Lol! Doesn't take much. ? Went up 8 degrees in an hour. Will check again in a bit.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Something to keep in mind... I have my basking flood at an angle to the basking surface. This gives a wider range of basking temps, and is another way to control temps in addition to wattage and moving the bulb height above surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom