100 gallon tank proper set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure

Hey, so I'll be taking care of an older bearded dragon and I've got a 100 gallon (48Lx16.5Wx18?tall). The top is partitioned into two sections of 22.5x16.5 but open with no closed top.

What would the ideal lighting set up be for a glass tank of this size? I have a feeling his current set up is a bit subpar and I want him to have a nice home for his last few years(hes close to 9/10).

I'm fairly new to this stuff so if anyone would be kind enough to post links to the products they mention that would be greatly appreciated. Lighting is a challenge for me lol, and I'd hate to pick the wrong light and end up hurting him

Also, he has an issue of one eye not opening for past few days with some crusty gunk
I've read that an unpasteurized honey/warm water solution rubbed on the eye gently can sooth a mild infection if that's what it is. What should I do?

Thanks for you help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am using a 24" fixture for a 4x2x2 tank - so a 24" should be good for yours - I would get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb and put it inside the tank of approx 12-15 inches from your basking decor --
as far as the eye that is is what is recommended what you asked the honey / water administered w/ a q tip to the eye -- some others can advise on that and the tank but I would go w/ the 24' fixture - you dont want it the same length as the tank - they need to be able to get out of those UVB rays w/ out having to hide from the UVB
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am using a Exo Terra 150 watt-- some use the HH bulbs but I havent been able to get one yet to experiment w/ --- they are a Incandescent bulbs from your local home improvement stores or Walmart - Brandon would haft to weigh in on those -- I think it depends on the room they are in and the temps where the tank sits whether its on the floor - stand etc ........... what the tank is made out of -- all those play a role in getting the temps
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom