Question About Basking Bulb Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

So I just had to purchase another basking bulb today after my old one burnt out this morning. We use the Zoo Med 100 watt basking bulbs and our temps are good at 110-112 degrees on Dinraal's basking spot.

My concern is this; we had that bulb for 54 days until it burnt out, and we have it on 12 hours a day from 7-7. That only gave us 648 hours of basking heat even though the boxes always say good for 2,000 hours of heat. Has anyone else had this issue with this brand of bulb? Is there something we could be doing wrong that's causing the bulb to burn out faster than it should?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Some last longer than others- I use the exo Terra bulbs and I just picked 2 of them up at Petsmart for buy one get one -- they were the 150 watt-- some use regular hh bulbs that are indacanscent bulbs--- I can't use them don't keep temps --
Karrie

arcadia1216

Original Poster
I think I'll look for the Exo Terra ones the next time I need to buy a new bulb. I'm just frustrated that the bulbs are lasting way less time than they say they do. Thanks for the input Karrie!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had issues with those bulbs lasting for a reasonable amount of time too. I've been using halogen flood light bulbs (PAR38) and they tend to last 2-3 months for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom