(Gecko related but please I need help.) Mites?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
View media item 60909View media item 60465View media item 60500 I went to go clean out my crested gecko's enclosure but when I got to the substrate I noticed that moving around on the Indian almond leaf topping, was a bunch of tiny white little insect things, are these mites??? What in the heck am I going to do? How am I going to get rid of them? Are they bad? Could they infect my other reptiles? How do I know if my Gecko has them like in her or anything?

I've never heard of this happening. Gizmo is in a separate Temporary holding tank until I can get this sorted out, I'm letting the tank dry out right now because the substrate was very wet.

The substrate has 3 layers. On the top is indian almond leaves to help prevent Gizmo from trying to eat her substrate. The middle layer is a half bag of FrogDaddy's bioactive/naturalistic Frog and Gecko substrate, along with a whole bag of hydro balls at the very bottom.

So really, what should I do? Are they bad? Should I worry? I'm really freaked out about this.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Possibly grain mites? If so, they aren't harmful just really annoying. They thrive in humid environments so the best way I've found to get rid of them is to run a dehumidifier and dry the air out at least for a while.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Those May Be it, so they aren't the harmful type of mites? And they won't infect or attack my other herps? I've just been letting Gizmo's tank air out, but that hasn't seemed to work.

There's still like hundreds of them, and to be honest, it may be silly, but I can handle most types of bugs... But these micro ones in such a large amount, they freak me out. :shock:

Will Gizmo be okay still in just her small plastic temporary tank for the time that I'm dealing with these bugs? She's mostly just been hiding the whole time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can't be sure they are grain mites, but if they are, then they don't pose a threat. They are just kind of a pain to get rid of. They are very small and tend to be in such high numbers it looks like moving sand. I've had them on my cricket and roach bins before (from contaminated grain food brought in) and the only thing that made them go away was decreasing humidity as I mentioned earlier.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alright, Thank you. I hope it's just that and nothing more serious. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom