UVB Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Does anyone know where to purchase a more affordable UVB meter? I understand you get what you pay for, but $140 to $220 (or more) is quite a bit. :?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have looked at them as well but did not purchase one -- I know some others on here have them so I am hoping they respond to this question
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 6.5 was 190 last I saw. It really is the most affordable type in its class that I'm aware of. Otherwise you're looking at lab quality instrumentation and that's not cheap at all.

That being said, it's more of a luxury IMO as long as you have a trustworthy source for the information you need, such as distances for different bulbs, and uvi levels at different distances.

I have 1 because im a nerd and I like that kind of stuff. But i also had dragons for 20 years before deciding to get one.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I have the model 6.5 = OOPS MOMENT ON MY PART ] 6.2 Sensitive UVB Meter , and it's my goto meter.

I've also the model 6.2 = OOPS MOMENT ON MY PART ] 6.5 (UV- index meter) that I use mostly outside ( we get extremely high UV here ) , and the model 4.2 Sensitive UVA Meter . Sometimes it's worth checking UVA levels from a globe.

For monitoring the performance of multiple UV globes and tubes , the model 6.5 and model 4.2 are worth every cent IMO.
Not so sure about the value of the model 6.2 = OOPS MOMENT ON MY PART ] 6.5 OR 6.5R , as I'm not convinced UV-Index calibrations in these are properly designed for reptilian skins and I prefer direct UVA and UVB flux measurements over inferred measurements based on somewhat dodgy pseudo-scientific assumptions.

edit GOT tO stop posting in wee small hours when I'm tired.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":3fzsn25l said:
The 6.5 was 190 last I saw. It really is the most affordable type in its class that I'm aware of. Otherwise you're looking at lab quality instrumentation and that's not cheap at all.

That being said, it's more of a luxury IMO as long as you have a trustworthy source for the information you need, such as distances for different bulbs, and uvi levels at different distances.

I have 1 because im a nerd and I like that kind of stuff. But i also had dragons for 20 years before deciding to get one.

-Brandon
Solarmeter's solar radiometers are all laboratory quality & calibrated instruments .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your numbers are backwards. The 6.5 is the uvi meter. 6.2 is the uv flux.

The problem with measuring UV flux is that the same number can mean completely different things from different sources. when measuring the sun, you know what to expect. The problem comes when using it on lamps as different lamps produce ratios that are different than the sun does. That's why francis has mentioned that a lamp that was only producing 50 mW uv was causing severe skin and eye issues. It wasnt until they realized that the ratio of short wavelength in that 50 mW was much higher than other bulbs or even the sun. So while being exposed to the sun at even 400 mW wasnt causing issues, 50mW of this specific lamp was. If your meter only can measure mW like the 6.2 does, you really dont know how much of that is actually shorter more intense wavelengths unless you rely on a chart. And if that's the case and you are going to rely on a chart anyways, there really is no point of getting the meter.

The 6.5 and the UVI reading specifically targets the wavelength range that is responsible for causing sunburns and d3 synthesis. That's why most companies/zoos/experts are using UVI now, as mW from one source can be drastically different than the same mW from another.
Hence the 6.5 being the preferred meter.

It's definitely not pseudoscience.

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
This is the guide I've used to date. According to that guide, my tank offers between negligible amounts due to complete shade from the UVB up to 4.7 on one of the basking spots. Obviously different conditions can cause this to vary a lot though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My suggestion to anyone who is going to buy a meter, is study the spec sheets very closely (available here : https://www.solarmeter.com/ )
and make sure you understand exactly what you will be measuring . And make the effort to research the actual climatic and environmental conditions the reptile live in the wild in their NATURAL RANGE.
.Don't go on the advise in magazines, and by resellers who more than likely are clueless .

Take a close look at how poor a fit the calibration model used is for the UV-Index meters , which incidently calibrate to mammalian (human) skin UV response NOT reptilian UV skin response.
Fergusen Zones ( https://www.solarmeter.com/pdfs/6.5R_UV-Index-Interactive.pdf )
are not a good guide IMO , even if trendy and the current pseudo scientific fad...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup that's a good link and made by one of our members here, taterbug.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom