Would you choose a cage made out of HDPE over PVC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel619392

OK so I see a problem in the reptile community and not only with bearded dragons also with ball pyrhons , carpets , most snakes and ackies/blue tongue skinks..

The problem is when it comes to custom caging people decide to upgrade from wooden enclosures to PVC which honestly is better than wooden enclosures all around in every single are except cost. The only other bad thing is the off gassing that has been downplayed a lot but thats another conversation for debate.

Now the solution to this problem is HDPE enclosures. After much research I come to find out that HDPE is better than PVC (expanded pvc foam board) in literally every area. I mean that statement to its fullest.
1. Tolerates heats up to 240 degrees F and does not contain chlorine like pvc which is one of the main fumes that is super toxic when pvc is heated at 140 degrees
2. Strength , HDPE is denser and very strong. Great when it comes to shock waves or hard impacts for example monitor lizards
3. Smooth surface allows for easy cleaning and does not absorb pee and poop odors nor stains
4. Also lightweight like pvc
So you see , HDPE beats pvc in its own strengths the only con is that its more expensive. But I wanted to make a DIY guide and a video of when I make a enclosure out this stuff in February.

Now the question I have is really just me saying I can provide what im asking you guys. So here is the question

If HDPE is superior to Expanded pvc foam board which every cage maker uses literally except for one that uses CPVC then would it not make sense to buy it if its the same price as one of the cheapest cage makers like AP plastics?

Thats my question and I know I can solve this problem of closing the gap of price between HDPE and pvc.

Proline enclosures used to make HDPE cages but they could not compete with the prices of PVC so they had to stop making them even though they were a superior cage, but people will go with whats cheaper.

So let me get your input on if you had or have PVC cages HDPE cages what you liked and disliked about them.

An if you would get HDPE cage over pvc knowing the facts that its better in every way.

And of course ill have visuals when I build my cage.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Personally I like wooden enclosures. Bit I'm partial as I build them myself.

I really cant think of a negative they present besides their weight.

That being said, if I had to pick between PVC and HDPE, I'd go with HDPE.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":3ve6cnd8 said:
Personally I like wooden enclosures. Bit I'm partial as I build them myself.

I really cant think of a negative they present besides their weight.

That being said, if I had to pick between PVC and HDPE, I'd go with HDPE.

-Brandon

Yep timber is a good material , just needs to be looked after properly to ensure it's properly sealed and the "cabinet making" is good - ie glued and screwed at all joins , good join selection , good timber throughout ( the last two are where many DIYSers and manufacturers fall down with "timber" enclosures unless custom made by a skilled chippy …. I've learnt from experience there is no substitute for choosing a good quality timber for frame and the panels ).

My big tanks for my dragons and bluetongues til now have all be made from 18mm plywood ( pine for the dragons (as these are dry tanks ) and marine ply for the eastern bluetongues as they like access to nice big shallow water dish and some humidity ( dampness in their bedding which is hard on timber unless it's marine grade and properly sealed - marine vanish is what I used and has lasted over 10 years ).
Unfortunately I'm no chippy so my plywood builds are "rustic" in appearance and I should probably have used better joints than simply butt joints.
You learn these things with experience and failures.

I'm in the process of an experiment with 6mm thick UV stabilized clear acrylic sheet for my new big dragon tanks ( end panels , back panels , and sliding front doors (?) and front "under panels ) that will fitted to 1" x 1" hollow aluminium tubing ( my rails and posts in my tank structures ) that will be connected using specially made nylon CONNECTIT joiners.
My lids will be made from 9mm thick project panels ( plywood ) , sealed using Cabots exterior H2O based stained vanish.
My tank bases will be made from 18mm thick project panels ( plywood ) , sealed as above.

No glue needed in my modular tank constructions.
Only M2 or M4 screws needed to fix some 25x25x1.6mm and 12x12x1.6mm aluminium angles and 10x10x1.6mm aluminium channels ( to fit and secure the 6mm thick acrylic sheeting panels ) and lids.
And M6 screws to fix the bases to the bottoms of the tanks' frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom