CHE placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin124

I am new to this and I am temporarily using a mesh top and cannot hold my heat can i place the che inside the tank for now to keep the bearded dragon warm

my tank
106979-6508043194.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What wattage basking bulb are you using? And how are you taking the temps? Infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe? You only need the basking spot to the temps you need of 95-110 for an adult- the CHE should be used to keep temps at nite if your tank is falling below 65-- I would move the basking bulb on top of the tank above him pointing down and not towards him and move the CHE to the middle of the tank on top of screen - what size tank is he in? Make sure you get a actual basking temp w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun--- where is the UVB?
Karrie

Merlin124

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3o3qeng1 said:
What wattage basking bulb are you using? And how are you taking the temps? Infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe? You only need the basking spot to the temps you need of 95-110 for an adult- the CHE should be used to keep temps at nite if your tank is falling below 65-- I would move the basking bulb on top of the tank above him pointing down and not towards him and move the CHE to the middle of the tank on top of screen - what size tank is he in? Make sure you get a actual basking temp w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun--- where is the UVB?
Karrie

UVB is the bright blob I just bought a t5ho but haven't installed it yet it's in a 35 gallon I think and the basking is 100 watt I couldn't keep the temp up to even 95 that's why I put the che there. I am using a digital probe at the basking spot, and a stick on on the opposite side. with the che there I reached 96

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the stick on is ambient temp--- I would look at getting a bigger tank --- he is gonna out grow that tank here real soon - they recommend a 75-120 gallon for a full size dragon - what size fixture did you get for the UVB? I would invest in a 24" that way it can go into a bigger tank - the 5.0 bulb is more for an aquarium tank so it can be used just that it needs to be 6-8 inches from his basking spot so w/ that being said I would either take the screen off the tank or leave it half on the tank and set the UVB fixture w/ no cover over the bulb and put width wise on that tank - that way hes got the best effect of the UVB rays -- put a piece of decor under that UVB 6-8 inches from basking - try a 150 watt bulb but I am thinking that may be over kill - can you raise the basking spot closer to the basking bulb - leave the basking bulb on top of screen or get a clamp and clamp to the side of the tank - and you can put your UVB on that end as well w/ half the cool side w/ mesh screen and the hot side open w/ the UVB above and basking bulb clamped to side of tank -- I would look at getting him a bigger tank 35 gallon is way too small for a big dragon - you can look on FB marketwatch or craigslist - try and find one w/ doors in front of tank and if you do find one make sure you sanitize it really good -------------- if you need anymore help please ask - try those ideas I gave you and see if they will work for you --
Karri

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I don't like seeing CHE's that close. When that close they are in range of the dragon being able to come into contact with it. And that can lead to some pretty serious burns.

Just a thought, have you tried using your basking bulb in the smaller dome that you currently have your CFL in? I wonder if the tighter dome would direct more of the heat downwards than that large dome you have.

-Brandon

Merlin124

Original Poster
claudiusx":2thd2jlh said:
Hi there,

I don't like seeing CHE's that close. When that close they are in range of the dragon being able to come into contact with it. And that can lead to some pretty serious burns.

Just a thought, have you tried using your basking bulb in the smaller dome that you currently have your CFL in? I wonder if the tighter dome would direct more of the heat downwards than that large dome you have.

-Brandon

Like the idea and thought of it but the dime says dont use morw than 75 watts and its 100 should I go ahead or wait

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No you need the appropriate dome wattage--- you will blow bulb out--- you will need to get a new dome
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, like karrie said, it will just blow the bulb.

I would focus on just getting the proper temp without the CHE. Did I ask in your other thread what type of bulb you were using?

-Brandon

Merlin124

Original Poster
claudiusx":2q4yqm6k said:
Yeah, like karrie said, it will just blow the bulb.

I would focus on just getting the proper temp without the CHE. Did I ask in your other thread what type of bulb you were using?

-Brandon

i tink so but ill tell u again i have a 100 watt che 100 what flukers basking bulb and right now a 10.0 uvb that is 13 watts my tank is either 35 or 40 gallons and has a mesh top, will be switching to a t5ho uvb tomorrow or tuesday

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That's good about the UVB-- that T 5 should go inside tank approx 12-15 inches from basking or if the screen on top is a wide hole not fine mesh it can sit on top w/ basking spot 6-8 inches from basking spot
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":2grlygmb said:
Hi there,

-Brandon
That CHE needs to enclosed in a wire cage ( to prevent the dragon from touching it , it will only take an moment of physical contact with the very hot glass surface to sustain a very serious and painful burn ) , same applies to the basking globe in a very small tank.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's probably the fluckers bulb. I haven't heard of many people using it. Do you have any lightbulbs around your house you can try? The incandescent bathroom vanity light bulbs I have in my bathroom are 50w and they get my temps hotter than that.

-Brandon

Merlin124

Original Poster
106979-1308694953.jpg
claudiusx":i9p61hnt said:
It's probably the fluckers bulb. I haven't heard of many people using it. Do you have any lightbulbs around your house you can try? The incandescent bathroom vanity light bulbs I have in my bathroom are 50w and they get my temps hotter than that.

-Brandon
we have theese lights in our bathroom dont know if theyll work, (only place we have spares right now.)
at the bottom it says provides nearly the same output as a 60-watt incandescent bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom