Wood too hot in vivarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Hi all! I'm in the process of setting up a vivarium. I placed a lot under my 75w lamp, and it's surface temperature gets as high as 135°. However, when I put a rock there, it's only 85°. Which one is more correct, I'm a little confused haha, thanks in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

What are you using to measure your temperature? An IR thermometer or a probe style?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's most likely the problem.

Do you have a digital with wired probe end you could use?

Ir thermometers rely on something called emissivity. Different objects (surfaces) have different emissivity. Most IR thermometers come precalibrated to a certain emissivity, and anything that falls outside of that range will not be read accurately. Unless you bought an IR thermometer with adjustable emissivity, you will not be able to really compensate for a surface that falls outside of it's calibration.

However, probe's don't have that problem, so I'd recommend doing a bit of a test with a probe on the two surfaces and see what they read. Then you'll know two things. What the actual temperature of both surfaces is, and which surface is the one that isn't compatible with your IR thermometer.

-Brandon

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":17m0wj5b said:
That's most likely the problem.

Do you have a digital with wired probe end you could use?

Ir thermometers rely on something called emissivity. Different objects (surfaces) have different emissivity. Most IR thermometers come precalibrated to a certain emissivity, and anything that falls outside of that range will not be read accurately. Unless you bought an IR thermometer with adjustable emissivity, you will not be able to really compensate for a surface that falls outside of it's calibration.

However, probe's don't have that problem, so I'd recommend doing a bit of a test with a probe on the two surfaces and see what they read. Then you'll know two things. What the actual temperature of both surfaces is, and which surface is the one that isn't compatible with your IR thermometer.

-Brandon

Oh wait really? I never knew that. So would it only work up to a certain temperature, even if the temperature range given on the box says otherwise?
I don't have a digital probe unfortunately :/. Would one used in the kitchen work ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom