75 gallon tank help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVulpi

I am a new beardie owner. He's in a 40 gallon tank right now, he's about 5 months old. I saw a good deal on a 75 gallon tank and knowing that he's going to get bigger and need the room, I picked it up. Now I'm at a loss. What kind of lamps will actually heat a 75 gallon tank properly. Currently I have 1 heat lamp, 1 ceramic, and a UVB bar and the temperature is good for my 40 gallon. I also have a small heating pad under the tank. Can anyone tell me what I'm going to need for the 75? Everything seems to be for a smaller tank.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's all going to be trial an error. Too many variables at play such as room temp, fixture type, bulb type, insulation properties of the tank etc.

For example, I use a 40w bulb in my 4x2x2 which is much larger than a 75g and it is almost too hot in there. Other people need to use a 100w bulb for their 40g tanks. You will just have to play with wattages until you find what works for your scenario unfortunately.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx types faster than I do.

Lots of variables in play here. Is the 75gal all glass, or a box w/ glass/plexi doors in front, or what?

I'm in the process of moving a baby from a 16.5gal open-top plastic tub to a 150gal wood enclosure w/ glass doors in front. The same 80W halogen has been able to heat both (moving it from the tub to the big enclosure).

Not much heat will be coming from the UVB, and that subject is a whole 'nother ball-o-worms.

For heat, you need to know where you're starting. Start w/ the basking lamp--it's the most important for heat. I'd move the basking lamp into the 75gal, turn it on for a day, and measure your temps (temp gun preferred). Once you know that, we can talk about changes/modifications.

One of the biggest issues will likely be heat loss/insulation, which is (inexpensively) in your control.
Depending on the type of enclosure (all glass or glass front) you can insulate the sides (aside from the front) and top (if open/screened) with rigid foam insulation--pink, white, or blue--which can be prettied up if desired. The top can be similarly insulated as long as you leave sufficient openings for lamps (not too close) and ventilation. Measure temps again.

Depending on your basking lamp wattage (you didn't specify--halogen preferred over LED; LEDs don't put out enough heat) you can increase that a step (20-25 watts) at a time within the safety limits on the fixture and measure temps again.

Those mods should be enough--even w/o the CHE & heat pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom