Lighting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masnella

Hello!
I have combed over the forums for the last week or so trying to figure out how to get my basking temps to the right level, but I'm finally asking for help since I can't seem to get it right, lol. I currently have a 29g, and I do plan on upgrading to a 40g or building my own within the next month or two at the very latest. The enclosure is 30x12x18" with a mesh lid. I'm using the reptisun t8 10.0 for my uvb source and a 150w bulb in a ceramic 8.5" dome. I have tried a 75w, 100w, par38 90w, and a 60w bulb to try to get the baking temps right, but none of them work. The 150w only gets to 95 degrees. I am using some driftwood that is about 10 to 12" max from the very top of the basking spot. I'm also using an IR temperature gun to measure the temperatures. I think 150w is pretty excessive, and totally confused why I can't get the correct temps lol. Any help or advice is very much appreciated :)

Masnella

Original Poster
So I just tried to use a different object for basking instead of the driftwood, and now I'm getting 101 roughly. I did get 104 originally, but now I can't seem to find that spot I wonder if the piece of driftwood I had just wasn't a good conductor of heat. I'm going to keep monitoring the temperature to see if it gets any hotter. The new basking object is a looooot lower than the piece of wood now too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just get a good accurate temp from a digital probe or infrared heat gun--- the range for a baby is 105-110 -- and for an adult 95-105-- if you have a area for basking that provides a gradient meaning different places for him to sit instead of one spot that is good - then he can pick the spot he wants to sit---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The temperatures can greatly vary from object to object so placing several different types of
basking objects in the tank, for him to sit & lay on is desirable.
As Karrie said, as long as there are good temperature gradients, he will seek out his optimal
temperature zone when he wants to as long as it's available for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom