Where to find Adult sized enclosure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coops409

I can't seem to find (other than custom made & overpriced) an adequate sized enclosure to upgrade to.

My beardy is 19" long & about 5 months old. She's in a 36" x 18" x 18" right now & quickly growing out of it. She grows about 2" every couple weeks.

Is there like an industry standard that beardy owners upgrade to after the 40 gal? I can't seem to find anything name brand.

My only condition is that it opens from the front rather than top

I have been hearing a 120 gallon (48x24x24) is the new industry standard.

I have heard APCages, DIYCages, and ZenCages are good. I have had no experience with them, so I can't say if they are good or not.

When you are upgrading to an enclosure that large, I would recommend building one yourself out of melamine panels. It's much less expensive than buying an enclosure, and you can make it how you like. My last 3 beardies have been in melamine enclosures once they outgrew their smaller one.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Coops409":1hgu6rvo said:
Is there like an industry standard that beardy owners upgrade to after the 40 gal? I can't seem to find anything name brand.
I wouldn't [call it] (yet) an "industry standard"--more like a consensus recommendation of experts for "ideal size" of 120gal (4x2x2) or larger ("as much as you can afford"). Or as at least one source puts it:
Length: 2-3x length of lizard
Depth: length of lizard
Height: length of lizard
Which comes out pretty close to 4x2x2.

Building vs. buying seems like a good idea (well, it is for some/many), but it depends on your DIY skills, concepts, etc.
A compromise is a kit, such as Zen Habitats, Talking Serpents, and others.
For a DIY, check out the DIY forum, and info on the Crossfire Enclosure (a basic 4 x 2 x 2 that's easy to modify/customize). I believe the Talking Serpents kit is based on the Crossfire.

I know a lot of people use melamine because it's cheap. Personally, when I looked into materials, I ruled it out for outgassing & toxicity reasons--YMMV. I also ruled out (for me) pine plywood because pine is toxic to BDs (though it can be sealed with a beardie-safe sealer to reduce/eliminate that risk). I went with Baltic Birch--a hardwood plywood with a birch core as well as the outside veneer. Other hardwood plywoods are also usually a good choice, though it's pretty much all personal preference.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is recommended for a adult dragon to be in a 120 gallon tank or 4x2x2-- I have purchased two Zen Habitats --- the first one I got was $269 but that was a special they had going - they have gone up to $329 now I believe and come w/ a black mat for the bottom of tank --- I use slated ceramic tile in both my tanks --- the Serpent tanks I have not heard of and at only $219 that is good but your gonna pay for the glass so cost will be higher - I dont like the solid tops - the Zen comes w/ a stainless mesh screen on top -- if you would like pics let me know and I will post them
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":14s62pix said:
the Serpent tanks I have not heard of and at only $219 that is good but your gonna pay for the glass so cost will be higher - I dont like the solid tops
I found them on YT whilst looking for enclosure ideas/info. :D
D.I.Y. Reptile Enclosure Kit

May I ask your reason(s) for disliking solid tops? They curb heat loss, provide anchorage for lighting, and are easily stackable. (I know the Zens are stackable too).
Having just gone through building a DIY, I can add the glass ran me $64 for 1/4" plate--ready to install.

The TS kits also require sealing, but so do most/all plywood enclosures--no big whoop. That can allow more options for aesthetics/fitting in w/ home decor.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Claustrophobic-- me--- so I think of being enclosed in something like that w/ a solid top ---- I prefer open -- more airy
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
[Chuckle...] I get a little claustrophobic myself (why I've never gone spelunking I spoze...)

But I'll admit the enclosure never occurred to me. Making a rough unscientific comparison (just for snickers & grins)...

Assuming an average BD length of 18" (courtesy google) and approx. half of that is tail (courtesy BD.org), in a 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure, It'd be the equivalent of a 6 ft. human in a room 32' long by 16 ft. wide by 16 ft. tall.

Bigger than any room in my house! :lol:

But I still see your point. Maybe you need a bigger enclosure? :laughhard:

[EDIT]
I forgot to mention...
The ceiling and top third of the walls of Z's enclosure are painted flat sky-blue (matched perfectly to a cloudless sunny day at noon in Home Despot's parking lot) :laughing6:
No joke! :D
[/EDIT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom