Herpstat for basking light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, im wondering how many of you use a herpstat to control your basking temperatures. I ask because im thinking of grabbing one to regulate my temps but my only concern is that on the spyderrobitics website, I found a FAQ that says
Question:
Can the Herpstat be used with overhead basking lights?
Answer:
Thermostat control of lamps that provide visible illumination is not ideal. Lamps change brightness during regulation and then turn off when the target temp is reached. However, we now have a special feature called Basking Assist available in Herpstat 1 Basic, Herpstat 1, Herpstat 2, and Herpstat 4 (V2) models that prevents the lamp from turning off when its close to the target temp. This allows for a much smoother experience. If you need to provide heat from above often a better choice would be to use a radiant heat panel or ceramic heat emitter. Then a low wattage bulb can be added for illumination of the enclosure.

I guess im a bit confused on whether or not the herpstat would be okay to use for my basking light because it first says that its not ideal but then right after it says they have basking assist available. Can any of you give some insight on this or how your experiences are using a herpstat for your bearded dragon?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a herpstat2. It works to dim my halogen basking light but you want to get close to start with by adjusting height or wattage. Dimming for minor tweaks automatically. It’s not perfect and will sometimes flicker when ramping up or down for the day. The second outlet is set for pulse and works well with a heat projector for overnight temps. It’s worth having it in order to keep temps in line automatically.

BEStillz

CooperDragon":2b0ze7gn said:
I use a herpstat2. It works to dim my halogen basking light but you want to get close to start with by adjusting height or wattage. Dimming for minor tweaks automatically. It’s not perfect and will sometimes flicker when ramping up or down for the day. The second outlet is set for pulse and works well with a heat projector for overnight temps. It’s worth having it in order to keep temps in line automatically.

Hey Cooper, Do you use the ramping feature of your Herpstat. I recently got one and trying to find the correct settings for ramping from day to night mode. How much time do you use for the ramping? I had mine set for 1 hour but that caused the lights to turn on and off.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep I use the ramping. I have it set at only 15 minutes because with longer intervals I also saw the light turning on and off. It still happens from time to time, so it's not a perfect system, but works well overall.

BEStillz

oh great, thanks for replying. I adjusted mine to 30 minutes and noticed it was doing better last night. If it still does it ill try going down to 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom