Coconut fiber substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! My bearded dragon is about 10 months old going into off and on brumation. I recently changed his substrate to a mix of coconut fiber and repti-bark large pieces. He seems to love it and thrive in it. I monitor where and what he eats to make sure 100% he doesn't consume any. He loves burrowing and digging in it and burying himself. I know everyone is controversial about loose particle substrate but I think its good because I want him to have enrichment, I am concerned about coconut fiber because some people said it is not good for them? Does anyone have a loose substrate suggestion for me? I want him to have the best life. I'm thinking about a bioactive terrarium for him, but his cage doesn't have PVC panels so I can't do that yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the coconut fiber -- last I heard it causes RI from the dust--- I dont really know of any good loose substrate --- too much risk of impaction -here is what is recommended for laying females
Dig Box-- playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it.
Karrie

flowerfarming

Original Poster
KarrieRee":o2n9wdmy said:
Please get rid of the coconut fiber -- last I heard it causes RI from the dust--- I dont really know of any good loose substrate --- too much risk of impaction -here is what is recommended for laying females
Dig Box-- playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it.
Karrie
OH MY GOD IM TAKING IT OUT RIGHT NOW. i feel horrible i don't want him to get a respritory infection oh my gosh!!!! :(

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
You mentioned "he" and "his" so a dig box shouldn't be necessary.

I agree that particulate substrates should be avoided; see The Best (And Safest) Substrates for Bearded Dragons. Many of us consider ceramic/stone tile the best choice, though not the only good choice. Larger tiles (without using grout) have many advantages over small grouted tiles.

IMO, bioactive for a beaded dragon doesn't make sense (coming from someone--me--who thought it was a neat idea until I researched further and thought it through). BDs come from an arid/desert environment--not a humid/tropical environment where bioactive makes sense. The risks (RI) from too much humidity, and impaction/other problems from the particulate substrate aren't IMO worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom