Coconut fiber substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! My bearded dragon is about 10 months old going into off and on brumation. I recently changed his substrate to a mix of coconut fiber and repti-bark large pieces. He seems to love it and thrive in it. I monitor where and what he eats to make sure 100% he doesn't consume any. He loves burrowing and digging in it and burying himself. I know everyone is controversial about loose particle substrate but I think its good because I want him to have enrichment, I am concerned about coconut fiber because some people said it is not good for them? Does anyone have a loose substrate suggestion for me? I want him to have the best life. I'm thinking about a bioactive terrarium for him, but his cage doesn't have PVC panels so I can't do that yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the coconut fiber -- last I heard it causes RI from the dust--- I dont really know of any good loose substrate --- too much risk of impaction -here is what is recommended for laying females
Dig Box-- playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it.
Karrie

flowerfarming

Original Poster
KarrieRee":o2n9wdmy said:
Please get rid of the coconut fiber -- last I heard it causes RI from the dust--- I dont really know of any good loose substrate --- too much risk of impaction -here is what is recommended for laying females
Dig Box-- playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it.
Karrie
OH MY GOD IM TAKING IT OUT RIGHT NOW. i feel horrible i don't want him to get a respritory infection oh my gosh!!!! :(

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
You mentioned "he" and "his" so a dig box shouldn't be necessary.

I agree that particulate substrates should be avoided; see The Best (And Safest) Substrates for Bearded Dragons. Many of us consider ceramic/stone tile the best choice, though not the only good choice. Larger tiles (without using grout) have many advantages over small grouted tiles.

IMO, bioactive for a beaded dragon doesn't make sense (coming from someone--me--who thought it was a neat idea until I researched further and thought it through). BDs come from an arid/desert environment--not a humid/tropical environment where bioactive makes sense. The risks (RI) from too much humidity, and impaction/other problems from the particulate substrate aren't IMO worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom