Exoterra or thrive desert kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a bit short on money for a new tank and I’ve seen the thrive desert essential 40 gallon ( measurements are 36x18x18 which is basically 50 gallon). Or should I just save up for the exoterra 50 gallon. Thrives price was $189 and exoterra was $230. The thrive comes with 2 lamps, a hide, some water dishes and a branch. The only thing that detoured me from thrives was if it was as reliable as exoterra. I would appreciate if you guys leave experiences or reviews of any of the two tanks. Greatly appreciate it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Natural Terrarium Large/Tall
90 x 45 x 60 cm / 36” x 18” x 24” (WxDxH)
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_large.php
Look at this tank --- you are wasting money on the lamps --- more that likely you will not use one of them because its going to be a coil and a thrive one --- I have noticed this brand and would not recommend it at this time --- you need to go w/ what we know works and you do not want a coil UVB --- you need a tube ---
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":whfb6z9x said:
Look at this tank --- you are wasting money on the lamps --- more that likely you will not use one of them because its going to be a coil and a thrive one --- I have noticed this brand and would not recommend it at this time --- you need to go w/ what we know works and you do not want a coil UVB --- you need a tube ---
Karrie
What type of watt would you have to use for that tank. I have a 100 watt currently.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well it is trial and error w/ bulbs-- if the room your putting him in is warm you might get away w/ the 100 watt if its a cold room I would start w/ the 100 and if its not keeping your basking temps at 95-105 for an adult or 105-110 for a baby you will need to adjust -- you can change decor around etc....
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Neither …. most the stuff that comes in these petshop kits is worthless or very much inadequate ==> you immediately have to upgrade .

Don't take any advise from petshops .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":2f0a3isq said:
Karrie

I wouldn't touch a Thrive brand UV source with a barge pole …. guaranteed to be very bad quality producing a very poor UV spectrum .

If the tank has a mesh lid …. walk away , don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom