Quick response needed if possible!! Lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I buy a regular fixture for my uvb light bulb? I have a few laying around my house. I have the t5 bulb. Also can I get a ceramic fixture from Home Depot and put a regular light bulb in it to give extra get in my tank? If so what watts and what kind, I see a lot of LED bulbs and not sure what to buy! I am on my way to buy a larger tank and want the temp correct!! I’m getting a 75 gallon tank from petco! Thank you so much!!

Al6911

You should be fine from what I read on using other fixtures. It'll save you money, that's for sure! Just make sure you're putting bulbs in the appropriate fixture, of course.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have a t5 fixture yes you can use it most fluorescent fixtures for how use are t8s though so you'll want to double check.
And yes you can get regular ceramic sockets. You have to wire them up though. The ceramic sockets they sell are usually rated for up to 600w, but it will say on the box.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes as already said, domestic T5 luminaires work OK with T5 UVB tubes.
Only real difference is reptile T5 hoods come with built-in shaped focusing metal reflectors and are often designed to withstand being splashed with water or high humidity environments.

Make sure the plastic dust / bug cover that often is part of the luminaire kit is removed and never installed over your T5 UVB tube because it will block most the UV.

Consider investing in a slip on reflector to go behind the T5 UVB tube, this will double the UV where you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom