Bulb Blew Again!

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Bulb Blew Again!

Postby ComicBookMama » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:45 am

Does anyone else have trouble with ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamps? This is the second bulb that's blown on me in two months, and it's getting a bit frustrating having to go back to PetCo and exchange them...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bulb Blew Again!

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:45 am

What wattage is it and what is the rating of your fixture?

The reptile bulbs tend to blow quickly on me, that's why I don't use them.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:59 am

Mine last for quite awhile --- I am wondering if your fixture is defective - you might try a different fixture to see if that is causing the issue
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby ComicBookMama » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi, guys...

My bulb is a 100w, and that's the max for the Fluker's Mini Sun Dome I use. On a side note, this is the second fixture I've gone through, too, so the fixture is relatively new as well.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:30 pm

ComicBookMama wrote:Hi, guys...

My bulb is a 100w, and that's the max for the Fluker's Mini Sun Dome I use. On a side note, this is the second fixture I've gone through, too, so the fixture is relatively new as well.

May I recommend the Exo Tera Intense Basking bulb I use a 75 watt and it heats up my 40 gallon aquarium well and it is at most Petco, Petsmart, and Pet Supplies Plus (Though Pet Supplies Plus is not as common.
Got Crickets?
BeardedDragonSteve
Juvie Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm

That's probably the problem. I wouldn't max out your fixture. Even though they "should" be compatible, I've found that bulbs magically last a lot longer when they are much lower than what the fixture is actually rated for.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby ComicBookMama » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Will look into getting a higher rated fixture and maybe look into the other type of bulb while I'm at it. Sheesh... it's tough work being a beardie slave! :lol:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:19 pm

I'd ditch the Fluker's dome fixture, is obviously defective.

You could try taking it back to the shop you bought it from if you still have the receipt and demand an exchange for better fitting (NOT another Flukers), unfit for purpose / dangerous / faulty ( tell them your sparky told you "it is faulty").

If you used PAYPAL to pay for it, go to the transaction history, find the transaction and open a transaction dispute , and ( don't wait for responses ) immediately escalate a dispute claim.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby ComicBookMama » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:30 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:

You could try taking it back to the shop you bought it from if you still have the receipt and demand an exchange for better fitting (NOT another Flukers), unfit for purpose / dangerous / faulty ( tell them your sparky told you "it is faulty").

If you used PAYPAL to pay for it, go to the transaction history, find the transaction and open a transaction dispute , and ( don't wait for responses ) immediately escalate a dispute claim.

Thanks so much for the feedback... this is actually my second fixture; the first (not a Flukers but can't recall the name brand) just up and quit working on me one day, but it was on the older side. Petco only carries Flukers domes, so I can try returning it for a refund after I've ordered a new fixture online. Luckily, Petco is pretty good about returns within a 60 day period. And with the number of times I'm in and out of the store every week buying crickets, they know me pretty well and treat me nicely! :lol:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:01 pm

You might want to look to a farm supply store for a good fixture. Brooder lamps tend to be less than $10 and support high wattage (250-300w). https://www.theisens.com/products/brooder-light/
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:32 pm

ComicBookMama wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:

Thanks so much for the feedback... this is actually my second fixture; the first (not a Flukers but can't recall the name brand) just up and quit working on me one day, but it was on the older side. Petco only carries Flukers domes, so I can try returning it for a refund after I've ordered a new fixture online. Luckily, Petco is pretty good about returns within a 60 day period. And with the number of times I'm in and out of the store every week buying crickets, they know me pretty well and treat me nicely! :lol:

There is the problem , if the cabling inside your house is fine , buying from the local pet shop is problematic quality-wise (you will be limited to shopbrand or maybe the cheap&nasty brands (Fluker say) , better off buying online from specialty ebayer or visiting the local hardware shop, the fittings will be better quality.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures