Quick response needed if possible!! Lighting!

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Quick response needed if possible!! Lighting!

Postby Obriennicole » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Can I buy a regular fixture for my uvb light bulb? I have a few laying around my house. I have the t5 bulb. Also can I get a ceramic fixture from Home Depot and put a regular light bulb in it to give extra get in my tank? If so what watts and what kind, I see a lot of LED bulbs and not sure what to buy! I am on my way to buy a larger tank and want the temp correct!! I’m getting a 75 gallon tank from petco! Thank you so much!!
Obriennicole
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Quick response needed if possible!! Lighting!

Postby Al6911 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:05 pm

You should be fine from what I read on using other fixtures. It'll save you money, that's for sure! Just make sure you're putting bulbs in the appropriate fixture, of course.
Bendy the Ball Python and Dovahh the bearded dragon
Al6911
Newbie Poster

Postby claudiusx » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:11 pm

If you have a t5 fixture yes you can use it most fluorescent fixtures for how use are t8s though so you'll want to double check.
And yes you can get regular ceramic sockets. You have to wire them up though. The ceramic sockets they sell are usually rated for up to 600w, but it will say on the box.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
claudiusx

Postby claudiusx » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Yes as already said, domestic T5 luminaires work OK with T5 UVB tubes.
Only real difference is reptile T5 hoods come with built-in shaped focusing metal reflectors and are often designed to withstand being splashed with water or high humidity environments.

Make sure the plastic dust / bug cover that often is part of the luminaire kit is removed and never installed over your T5 UVB tube because it will block most the UV.

Consider investing in a slip on reflector to go behind the T5 UVB tube, this will double the UV where you need it.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures