Basking on a Hammock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Figment has recently stopped using his branches for basking, preferring to spend his time in his hammock. It's a Penn-Plax Reptology Lizard Lounger, if that matters, though I may exchange it eventually for the ZooMed mesh reptile hammock, which looks easier to clean.

At any rate, I scooted the basking lamp over to where he's hanging out now, which has the added benefit of being much closer to his UV strip (the hammock is directly under the strip), so now I know he's getting the best of both light sources. The downside is that the hammock doesn't retain nearly as much heat as solid wood, so I'm concerned about his digestion and heat-related needs. His poos of late have been well formed, but with a good bit of clear liquid around them (though that might be the bell pepper I added to his salad, trying to get his liquid intake up a bit).

My question is, should I be trying to move his basking area back to something solid that retains more heat?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the surface temp is adequate on the hammock it will be fine, even with it not retaining heat well.

I have a rock in one of my dragons tanks that honestly is an enigma to me. It hardly holds any heat at all. It must have fallen from a space shuttle or something :roll: . But, the bulb I use in that tank is enough to still give adequate temperatures. It just makes it easier if your basking surface can radiate heat well.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom