Correct Temperature Probe Placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschasch

When i have my temperature probe resting on the basking rock, the temps regularly read over 10 Deg F higher than when I hang the probe near the same spot, but don't let it rest on the rock.

I'm like 90% sure i'm correct by hanging the temperature probe, not resting the probe, but just to be sure i wanted to double check with someone who knows more than myself!

Can Anyone tell me definitively which is the correct way to read the temp probe?

The high temp is what it reads for most of the day.

What i believe is Correct - Dangling Probe:
73YZTik.jpg

What i believe to be incorrect - Resting Probe
QfsUZ1M.jpg

As a Thank you for Helping out with my question, Here's a few fun pictures of my little monster!
we0jTRo.png

WDbsG32.png

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

When the probe is dangling, you are essentially reading the air temp + the temp from the beam of heat coming from the bulb.

When you place it on your surface, you are reading the beam of heat from the bulb + the radiated heat back from the surface.

You want to be reading the surface temperature, as this is the temperature your beardie will be exposed to and will be basking on.

Some items absorb and radiate heat really well. In the same situation but with a different material, you could be measuring a temperature of 100 degrees while dangingling it just an inch above the surface, all the while the basking surface itself could be 130, which is obviously too hot. That's why we clarify the 3 measurements you should know - your cool side temp, your hot side temp, and your basking surface temp.

So if you are trying to measuring the basking surface, you want it resting on the surface :)

Hope this helps.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom