Best bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sur3fir3

So we got a new beardie. I had Cypress mulch left over from my snakes, so we have been using that for the past few days. Someone has told my GF that we should be using the reptile carpet for bedding. Reptile carpet is really never suggested as a bedding for snakes. So I wanted to verify that this reptile carpet is the best thing we can use for bedding in the tank.

Here is the husbandry info:

Basking temp: 95
Cold side: 79
Middle of the tank 85 to 90ish
Bedding Cypress mulch
1 stick that changes the distance from the heat lamp to about 4 inches and at the closest to the light it is about 110
I have a 10.0 UVA/UVB light and I cant remember the UV exposure number
Then I have a CHE for the tank at night. With the CHE at night the tank stays around 83F hot side, and 75 cold side.
We put water in the tank every other day

I think that is everything u guys need to know. Should I change anything?

I am feeding Dubia, Crickets, and Black Fly Larvae.
I have calcium with Vit D3 that I dust the feeders with 1 time a week.
He does not seem to like veggies, I havent tried fruit yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello welcome to the forum------------10.0 UVA/UVB light?? tube or coil??--- best substrate that most use on this forum is either slated ceramic tile or textured non adhesive shelf liner ---- both are cheap easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in spray bottle- I would get rid of the cypress bedding especially if its loose -- too much risk of impaction -- -- how old is your beardie? If he is a baby he needs basking temps 105-110--- if he is older adult etc 95-105-- the CHE is good but you really dont need it unless your tank is dropping below 60 at nite -- it is up to you if you want to go w/ the carpet but it is hard to keep clean and can get expensive that is why I suggested the tile or shelf liner plus insects cannot get underneath as well
Karrie

sur3fir3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. The beardie is a Juvie. Not a hatchling though If I had to guess I would say about 6 months old. It is a Coil Light. For cleaning the liner I have Chlorohexadrine. (spelling is probably not correct.) Yea at night it doesnt drop below 73. We used the cypress mulch because at the expo they didnt have anything that was recommended for beardies. I passed on the information to my GF.

Also quick question on the basking temp. The temp of the basking spot on the stick is 110, and on the ground it is 98 to 100. Is that ok? So on the hot side he is able to bask from 98 to 110 depending on how he feels.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Basking is taken w/ a stick?????? Not sure what that is --- actual basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer bought from Petco or Petsmart for $5 - and or infrared heat gun bought from your local home improvement store - does not haft to be expensive usually around $10-12-- they are the accurate -- stick ons are not accurate for actual basking temps- a gradient like the one you described is good --- now for the UVB well the Coil Light is terrible --- please replace w/ this ASAP-
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays- this are the recommended on this site - you can also look at Sunblaster fixtures and bulbs--- but I recommend you get that changed out as soon as you can ----- cool side of tank should be in the 80"s during the day and not below 60 at nite --- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you have any more questions please ask we have a lot of info about dragons and someone on here can usually answer the question ---
Karrie

sur3fir3

Original Poster
KarrieRee":208ccq0r said:
Basking is taken w/ a stick?????? Not sure what that is --- actual basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer bought from Petco or Petsmart for $5 - and or infrared heat gun bought from your local home improvement store - does not haft to be expensive usually around $10-12-- they are the accurate -- stick ons are not accurate for actual basking temps- a gradient like the one you described is good --- now for the UVB well the Coil Light is terrible --- please replace w/ this ASAP-
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays- this are the recommended on this site - you can also look at Sunblaster fixtures and bulbs--- but I recommend you get that changed out as soon as you can ----- cool side of tank should be in the 80"s during the day and not below 60 at nite --- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you have any more questions please ask we have a lot of info about dragons and someone on here can usually answer the question ---
Karrie

What I meant is on the stick the beardie rests on, I took the temp with a digital temp gun and it read 110.

I will get the reptisun this weekend. And I will change out the bedding as well. Thanks for all the info.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Firstly, welcome to the site! :D

You've gotten some good advice from Karrie.
Switching out the substrate and upgrading to the tube light will set you up for a nice healthy happy beardie :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of your guy and setup.

If you want to be more formal about it, you should make a thread for him in the introductions section. To introduce yourself and your new buddy. :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom