Too much uvb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwcrf450r

Been doing research on lighting and general questions I dont have and I saw a response from one of the veteran beardie parents saying it's best to not exceed 2/3 of your tank with uvb coverage but I thought it was at least 2/3... I got a 48" fixture for my 48" tank.. is this something I should fix?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Probably, but it doesn't necessarily mean replacing the whole shebang at once. You could cover 1/4 to 1/3 of it with an opaque "shield"--just be careful not to trap any heat in, as overheating might shorten the life of the bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree---- you dont want the whole length of the tank w/ UVB-- he needs to be able to escape the rays if he wants to -- you dont want him hiding from it
Karrie

Mwcrf450r

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":33u3fjhe said:
Probably, but it doesn't necessarily mean replacing the whole shebang at once. You could cover 1/4 to 1/3 of it with an opaque "shield"--just be careful not to trap any heat in, as overheating might shorten the life of the bulb.
Ok. I've already done some replacing once now so modifications would be much better than adding another light to my list of failures ??

Mwcrf450r

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zlik2pc said:
I agree---- you dont want the whole length of the tank w/ UVB-- he needs to be able to escape the rays if he wants to -- you dont want him hiding from it
Karrie
My tanks 18" tall and I have a t5 10.0 on top of the screen top. Do you think maybe by the time it reaches the bottom of the tank its diluted enough anyways or not a chance?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yep distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches and w/ basking decor it should put distance there I would think
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a 22" in my 4x2x2s. It was the only size that allowed there to be some area in the tank with a uvi level of 0. And even then, it was only in the last 3 or 4 inches of the tank.

You want a gradient with uv just like you want with heat. And you want your dragon to have places where it can escape the uv rays if it so chooses.
I choose to create a gradient down to 0 instead of relying on hides as I dont like the idea of making my dragons hide if they want to escape exposure. They can simply move to the other end and still enjoy being out and about in their tanks.

Getting a shorter bulb has no effect at all on your basking level uv exposure, only a difference on the rest of your tanks levels.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom