External basking lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimtom

So I have seen a few lamp stands that are made to stand next to a glass vivarium and shine down from above. Would it be possible to get one of those and put a mercury vapour bulb in there for when my bearded dragon is outside his enclosure exploring? I could have it set up where ever because the lamp comes with a stand.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Sure, I spoze it's possible, but why?

S/he will be fine for an hour or so each day without special lighting, and if s/he's exploring, s/he'll probably be moving around too fast/much to keep up with moving the light.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I use an MV bulb for my beardie when she's outside the enclosure and in my room roaming around. I tend to leave her out for a few hours and she definitely runs back and forth from her light to wherever else she wants to go. I love using it for her and that she recognizes that that specific light is for her. :blob8:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use several of these. I have two over my enclosure (one basking light, one heat projector) and I have one over my roach bin with a heat projector, and I have two around the house (one MVB and one regular halogen basking light). They work well for what you're describing. They are also good to have for travel. Just throw a stand, fixture/bulb, and a basking surface (log, stone, or even just a small blanket or towel) in a bag and go.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":3vtpgr2p said:
Sure, I spoze it's possible, but why?

S/he will be fine for an hour or so each day without special lighting, and if s/he's exploring, s/he'll probably be moving around too fast/much to keep up with moving the light.

Many on this board live in very cold locations or keep their homes very chilly ( under 24 degC ) , so a free ranging dragon will definitely benefit from having a basking / recharge station to go to if it's feeling cold when out of it's tank.
A lamp stand with either an MVB ( for longer periods of free ranging ) or nice warm flood globe (for shorter outings) will definitely be appreciated , just be careful to make sure there is something small and heavy on the "foot" of the stand as they are very easy to bump over ( top heavy ).
A clamp lamp that can be attached to a chair or coffee table or door knob is good in this situation too.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":2vqyfito said:
Many on this board live in very cold locations or keep their homes very chilly ( under 24 degC )
I spoze if I were in that kind of situation, I probably wouldn't leave 'em out for longer than an hour or so anyway. If he needs to recharge, I would think it's time to put him back in his enclosure. YMMV

Experience has taught me to keep a very close eye on free-ranging critters. We left a hamster out in her ball once, got distracted, and lost track of time for a bit. (~half hour)

• ME: Hey, I haven't heard TH's ball rolling around in a while, have you?
    DW: Now that you mention it, no.
After a brief search of the apartment, we found the ball wedged between a wall and an interior door, with a really frustrated (pissed off) hamster inside running as fast/hard as she could, and going nowhere fast. :roll:

We're also used to having an "apex predator" (dog or cat) running around since moving from apartments into houses, so I/we just may think of free-ranging differently than others--and that's OK.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":1mr1rcap said:
kingofnobbys":1mr1rcap said:
Many on this board live in very cold locations or keep their homes very chilly ( under 24 degC )
I spoze if I were in that kind of situation, I probably wouldn't leave 'em out for longer than an hour or so anyway. If he needs to recharge, I would think it's time to put him back in his enclosure. YMMV

Experience has taught me to keep a very close eye on free-ranging critters. We left a hamster out in her ball once, got distracted, and lost track of time for a bit. (~half hour)

• ME: Hey, I haven't heard TH's ball rolling around in a while, have you?
    DW: Now that you mention it, no.
After a brief search of the apartment, we found the ball wedged between a wall and an interior door, with a really frustrated (pissed off) hamster inside running as fast/hard as she could, and going nowhere fast. :roll:

We're also used to having an "apex predator" (dog or cat) running around since moving from apartments into houses, so I/we just may think of free-ranging differently than others--and that's OK.

I'd never advocate letting a pet lizard free range without constant supervision ( ie being there and able to see it at all times).

If there's a cat in the house, it get banished to the bathroom or laundry or a cat excape proof wire cage or pet carrier BEFORE the lizard get's to come out.
If there's a dog in the house, it is not allowed to approach the lizard , there are some breeds of dogs who are breed and hard wired in such a way that they maul and tear a lizard to shreds the instant they see it on the floor.
NOT WORTH THE RISK IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom