Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a first timer dragon owner and I was wondering if rice in the sock method works to lower humidity. Right now my humidity is in the 50s barely touching 40 and right now that’s the only issue I’ve had so far. I’ve removed the water bowl and taken out any opened water source in the room. I know a dehumidifier would work best but I don’t have one right now.
106198-3175655231.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, assuming that the dial gauge works properly that humidity level would be perfectly fine for a dragon. A little lower, [ around 30-40 }+ spikes up to 70 % at times are even O.K. :)

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
AHBD":3jcq2ato said:
Hi there, assuming that the dial gauge works properly that humidity level would be perfectly fine for a dragon. A little lower, [ around 30-40 }+ spikes up to 70 % at times are even O.K. :)
I forgot to add that she is at most 2 months old i don’t have her exact age on a count that the breeder never told us so is the humidity still okay even though she is young

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes it's fine. It can get that high + even higher at times in the wilds of Australia where they are from.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the dials can be quite inaccurate, especially for temperature. So make sure you aren't relying on it for your temperature measurements. Luckily they tend to be at least semi-decent for humidity. But like AHBD mentioned, that's really not too bad of a level :)

-Brandon

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
AHBD":dy98vali said:
Yes it's fine. It can get that high + even higher at times in the wilds of Australia where they are from.
Thank you guys for the info but this humidity has been happening for almost a week now. I am worried that she could get a respiratory infectio. I would appreciate any advice

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dont worry. That's what we are trying to say, that humidity level is fine! :)
Plus, your gauge most likely isnt very accurate anyways.

-Brandon

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
claudiusx":2h1kd0wd said:

-Brandon
Thank you guys and what would you suggest for measuring humidity and temperature. Sorry for asking so much questions

Mishathedragon":3ie3nocm said:
Thank you guys and what would you suggest for measuring humidity and temperature. Sorry for asking so much questions

I have an Eco Terra Combometer that does both humidity and temp with a digital probe I use it for ambient temps on hot side and general humidity in the tank. I also have a temperature gun to measure surface basking spot temps and its really easy to use to measure any temp in the tank.

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
claudiusx":112jg6xk said:

-Brandon
I was wondering and this question has nothing to do with humidity now. I’m getting a digital thermometer and hydrometer in a couple of days. Is a 100 watt too much for a 20 gallon tank and is a coiled uvb light bad . I got my tank and stuff from a 20 gallon kit that said premium reptile terrarium. I also will have a photo to send and I will take any advice if I’m doing anything wrong with the tank. The only thing I noticed now is that I was dumb to have the heat lamp directly on top of the mesh opening which could have let her get burnt and I now put the lighting on top of something.
106198-1703251596.jpg
106198-8653786229.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would think a 100 watt is too much heat I used a 75 watt in mine -- but you need to get a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate temp---- also I would invest in a Infrared heat gun - the heat gun can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for around $10-12 and the probe from Petco or Pet Smart for around $5- as far as the coil some say you can use it in the smaller tanks but NOT recommended for the larger tanks like 40 and up-- I would get rid of it all together and get the Reptisun 10.0 either the T 5 or T 8 -- I used a 18 " on my 20 gallon long tank but did not have my little guy in it long maybe a week or two and had it sitting width wise across the tank -- when I put him in the 120 gallon now hes got a Zoo Med fixture 24" w/a Arcadia 14% bulb of which I am down grading that to a 12% here soon - that bulb is mounted at the top of the screen since its such a strong bulb - so w/ that in mind think of the tank you plan to put him in next and only get the fixture at most 2/3 of tank -- you dont want the whole fixture length of tank -- they need to be able to get out of the rays of the UVB if they want to -- other wise you will have him hiding from it ----
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2yrvtf7k said:
I would think a 100 watt is too much heat I used a 75 watt in mine -- but you need to get a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate temp---- also I would invest in a Infrared heat gun - the heat gun can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for around $10-12 and the probe from Petco or Pet Smart for around $5- as far as the coil some say you can use it in the smaller tanks but NOT recommended for the larger tanks like 40 and up-- I would get rid of it all together and get the Reptisun 10.0 either the T 5 or T 8 -- I used a 18 " on my 20 gallon long tank but did not have my little guy in it long maybe a week or two and had it sitting width wise across the tank -- when I put him in the 120 gallon now hes got a Zoo Med fixture 24" w/a Arcadia 14% bulb of which I am down grading that to a 12% here soon - that bulb is mounted at the top of the screen since its such a strong bulb - so w/ that in mind think of the tank you plan to put him in next and only get the fixture at most 2/3 of tank -- you dont want the whole fixture length of tank -- they need to be able to get out of the rays of the UVB if they want to -- other wise you will have him hiding from it ----
Karrie
So I would need the t8 because I have a plastic cover and I found a t8 18 inch that is 15 watts is that enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 8 is good for the tank hes in now but your gonna haft to upgrade that tank to a larger one here soon --- so I would go w/ a bigger fixture like a 24" and you can get the T 8 bulb which is good for size of tank now and later if you want you can get a T 5 bulb for that fixture --- you can set UVB width wise across the tank w/ out the cover and the screen on --- what is in the dual dome?? As long as the basking area is 6-8 inches your good but it has to be w/ the screen off as the screen filters alot of those UVB rays out--- or leave the screen on and get a T 5 bulb but the basking distance for that should be 12-15 inches away --- anything closer is too strong for that bulb --- the T 5 is strong enough to get thru the screen --- its up to you
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":v50x7n6s said:
The T 8 is good for the tank hes in now but your gonna haft to upgrade that tank to a larger one here soon --- so I would go w/ a bigger fixture like a 24" and you can get the T 8 bulb which is good for size of tank now and later if you want you can get a T 5 bulb for that fixture --- you can set UVB width wise across the tank w/ out the cover and the screen on --- what is in the dual dome?? As long as the basking area is 6-8 inches your good but it has to be w/ the screen off as the screen filters alot of those UVB rays out--- or leave the screen on and get a T 5 bulb but the basking distance for that should be 12-15 inches away --- anything closer is too strong for that bulb --- the T 5 is strong enough to get thru the screen --- its up to you
Karrie
The dual dome has the 100 watt basking lamp and a red infrared light for heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom