ZooMed Repti-Basking bulb keeps burning out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my bearded dragon since the beginning of April. Since then I have gone through at least 4 bulbs. I've been buying the ZooMed Repti-Basking 150w bulb. They're burning out so frequently that I've only actually paid for the first one... They burn out within PetSmart's return period each time.

I actually forgot about my bad luck because this one lasted almost 90 days, but this morning burnt out.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I feel like these should be lasting longer. It's in a double dome fixture with the UVB bulb and that bulb has worked great. Should I use different basking bulbs, and if so, what does anyone suggest?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had that problem with ZooMed bulbs too. They don't seem to be very durable. I've moved toward using outdoor halogen flood lights for my main basking bulbs. Those tend to last several months and are much more durable (but heavier). The PAR38 size produces a nice wide beam. I suggest avoiding the low wattage eco friendly versions since they don't tend to put out enough heat. You may need to test out a few different wattages and brands to find what works best in your setup. Once you find a good fit, just stock up on one that works.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You have a coil UVB??? Please get rid of it-----
Here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- you need to replace ASAP---- once you get rid of the dual dome I am guessing the basking bulb will last longer - I use the same type and dont have that issue -- I am guessing its the dual dome its in --- but that UVB coil needs to be replaced w/ one of the UVB's listed above
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
jleasure0614":2rp75zgi said:
I have had my bearded dragon since the beginning of April. Since then I have gone through at least 4 bulbs. I've been buying the ZooMed Repti-Basking 150w bulb. They're burning out so frequently that I've only actually paid for the first one... They burn out within PetSmart's return period each time.

I actually forgot about my bad luck because this one lasted almost 90 days, but this morning burnt out.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I feel like these should be lasting longer. It's in a double dome fixture with the UVB bulb and that bulb has worked great. Should I use different basking bulbs, and if so, what does anyone suggest?
I use the basking spot lamp from exo terra because it puts off more heat than other bulbs and I use a 75 watt bulb in a 40 gallon enclosure and it heats up to the proper temperatures in no more than an hour

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":3qzdjz4v said:
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- you need to replace ASAP---- once you get rid of the dual dome I am guessing the basking bulb will last longer - I use the same type and dont have that issue -- I am guessing its the dual dome its in --- but that UVB coil needs to be replaced w/ one of the UVB's listed above
Karrie
The packaging on the reptisun says it can last for a year is this true?

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":1a4ab733 said:
Karrie
Never mind I have a t5 did not read the whole thing lol

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":6l8nhb6n said:
Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided.
Is this still valid, or has it achieved/risen to urban myth status?

The reason I ask is that virtually every post I've seen about it is either ~10 years old, or can be traced to another post that is ~10 years old. Also,
From: https://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/reptile-resources/reptile-uvb-lighting

While UVB-producing compact fluorescent coil bulbs have been implicated for problems in the past, most of the name-brands you encounter are safe for your pets. However, depending on your species, they don’t produce nearly enough UVB for diurnal and desert species. They can be a very good choice for nocturnal or tropical species such as chameleons, crested geckos and other New Caledonian geckos. Uromastyx and other desert lizards would require a high number of coil bulbs that would be cost-prohibitive.

The old bulbs from 2006-2009 could still be in circulation. The brands affected were Zilla and Zoo Med, while Exo Terra Repti-Glo 5.0 coil bulbs did not have problems, but the 10.0 came close to the problem wavelengths. People were advised to avoid all coil bulbs during this time.

All of the aforementioned brands now produce safe coil bulbs, but be wary of older products still on the market.
...and that article was updated in 2014.

It seems a stretch that these companies wouldn't have addressed/fixed this problem in that length of time without somebody organizing/filing a class-action suit.

YMMV

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would say the statement is pretty accurate, minus the eye issues.

The cfls can cause health issues, but in the same sense that not using a uvb bulb can cause health issues. Or using an expired reptisun tube can cause health issues.

There are a few cfls on the market that do produce decent uvb output, such as the Arcadia and the higher wattage reptisun, but it's still a pretty directed output when compared to a linear tube.

There was also thought that the glaring light that cfls put off (all cfls, not just uvb producing cfls) was too intense and could potentially hurt the eyes. But not in the same way that the bad wavelength bulbs would. So I think that's why the eye issue statement sticks around. However when cfls are placed horizontally as opposed to facing straight down, the lux intensity seems to be better.
In fact awhile back, francis recommended horizontally mounting cfls if you were going to use them for that reason in particular.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":2xp6yxv5 said:
KarrieRee":2xp6yxv5 said:
Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided.
Is this still valid, or has it achieved/risen to urban myth status?

The reason I ask is that virtually every post I've seen about it is either ~10 years old, or can be traced to another post that is ~10 years old. Also,
From: https://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/reptile-resources/reptile-uvb-lighting

While UVB-producing compact fluorescent coil bulbs have been implicated for problems in the past, most of the name-brands you encounter are safe for your pets. However, depending on your species, they don’t produce nearly enough UVB for diurnal and desert species. They can be a very good choice for nocturnal or tropical species such as chameleons, crested geckos and other New Caledonian geckos. Uromastyx and other desert lizards would require a high number of coil bulbs that would be cost-prohibitive.

The old bulbs from 2006-2009 could still be in circulation. The brands affected were Zilla and Zoo Med, while Exo Terra Repti-Glo 5.0 coil bulbs did not have problems, but the 10.0 came close to the problem wavelengths. People were advised to avoid all coil bulbs during this time.

All of the aforementioned brands now produce safe coil bulbs, but be wary of older products still on the market.
...and that article was updated in 2014.

It seems a stretch that these companies wouldn't have addressed/fixed this problem in that length of time without somebody organizing/filing a class-action suit.

YMMV

Stick to Arcadia, Exo Terra and Zoo Med compact UVBs for rearing tubs and smaller tanks where 22" tubes are overkill ( or too long ) and MVBs are overpowering , and you'll be just fine. It's the cheap and nasty Chinese clones that are the dodgey globes , there is a very good reason why they sell cheaper than the respected manufacturers' products.

I have had 10 years using 26W UVB200s and never had an bearded dragon or skink health issue that is due to these.

And even the best manufacturers have been known to have bad production runs or to make bad decisions in cost cutting ( changing the chemistry of the phosphors for example like Zoo Med did a year or two ago with their T5ho 10% UVB tubes resulting in very rapid decay of the phosphors and a very much shortened life expectancy for them , meaning their tubes were only good for a few months at best ).

A lot of bad advice floating about and propogated here and elsewhere.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":axme7b78 said:
I would say the statement is pretty accurate, minus the eye issues.
The eye damage from improper wavelengths issues were the only part I was asking about, and only because I keep seeing it brought up. :lol:

kingofnobbys":axme7b78 said:
Stick to Arcadia, Exo Terra and Zoo Med compact UVBs for rearing tubs and smaller tanks where 22" tubes are overkill ( or too long ) and MVBs are overpowering , and you'll be just fine.
My enclosure will be too big for compact fluorescents anyway; I decided on a T5 10.0 long ago.

I'm figuring on an incandescent flood for basking. I just hope 75W will be enough--that's the max the fixture is rated for.

Peach

Hatchling Member
I have a 75 gallon tank. I use a flood light as well but given the size it wasn't quite warm enough. I added a second dome with a regular household bulb (not LED). I had to play around with the wattage but finally found the right one that, with the flood light, reached the right temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom