T5 uv replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Hi can anyone tell me when the T5 14% tube needs replacing please. Had ours 10 months but my daughters animal management tutor said 6 months.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unless you have access to a Solarmeter 6.2 or 6.5 , and can test the output of your source can reset the basking spot to UV source distance to get a higher level of UV ( applying the inverse square law ) or by trial and error , T8 and compacts have a useful life of 6 months , most T5ho tubes have a useful life of 12 months (Arcadia Reptile GUARANTEE at least 1 year , https://www.arcadiareptile.com/d3-dragon-lamp/).

Inverse Square Law (very briefly)
inverse-square-law-for-light-intensity.gif

The math of the physics
inverse-square-law-for-light-intensity-maths.png

and
inverse-square-law-for-light-intensity-maths1.png
and
inverse-square-law-for-light-intensity-maths2.png

If you know someone who has a Solarmeter 6.2 (UVB microW flux meter) and you can measure the UVB flux at the basking spot and it's over 60 microW / sq.cm , you still have some useful life in the tube if you can move the basking higher to get the new level of flux to about 180 microW / sq.cm then you can extend the life of the T5 tube several months.
This is my approach with my UVB globes and will work with T8 and T5ho tubes.

Alternatively if you know someone who has a Solarmeter 6.5 ( UV-Index meter ) , measure the currently UV-index and if it's under 3 , see above , adjust the basking spot height until the new UV-Index = 6.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank You guys, I have a new 1 on order, out of interest, if 1 failed or broke and didn't have spare how long is it ok to go without uv.?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DiXX":1tf7flhc said:
Thank You guys, I have a new 1 on order, out of interest, if 1 failed or broke and didn't have spare how long is it ok to go without uv.?

A week or two wont have much impact.

If it's going to take longer and it's warm and sunny , natural sunlight for an hour each day will do the trick , or if not sunny ( or too cold ie under 24 degC outside ) I'd be investing in a 26W UVB200 and either a reflector dome to danging under the lid or a 26W UVB200 and a Nano-hood (or equiv) to mount under the lid ( will need the basking spot about 6 to 8 inches from the 26W UVB200 to get sufficient UVA & UVB ) or a good Exo Terra or Zoo Med or Arcadia brand MVB (will need to mounted under the lid).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom