Natural Sunlight Hitting Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

halima16

I recently just moved to a new location and had to decide where to place Basil's tank in the new place. Before, Basil was placed next to a window, but sunlight never directly hit that part of our apartment. Because I thought it would be nice for him to have a window view again, I decided to place him on a window seat that gets a lot of natural sunlight throughout the day. The thing is, the sun shines on one side of the tank in the morning and then the other side in the evening. So the light isnt always shining on him, but I am wondering if this can end up being harmful. For example, if he is basking in natural light daily, do I need to stop giving him vitamin supplements that prevent calcium deficiency? Also, he will bask in the natural light, but I cannot control the temperature... As much as I like the idea of him getting natural light, I cannot decide whether to keep the blinds closed, move him somewhere else, or leave it as is.

Does anyone else have a spot that their beardie gets natural sunlight in? If so, where and how long does the light come through?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Firstly, glass blocks uvb radiation, so even in front of a window will full sun, no uvb will be hitting your dragon via the sun. So you still need a proper bulb and supplements.

Secondly, its generally frowned upon to put them in the direct sunlight of a window. The tank can very quickly overheat when it direct sunlight.

It would be best if you could find him a window that doesnt actually get any direct sun, or find another place for his tank :)

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
UV-B is blocked by passing through glass
RESULTS: .... All glasses totally blocked UVB radiation.
And in this situation, the sunlight seems to be passing through at least 2 layers--possibly more. So keep the UVB on, and keep up with normal supplements.
I cannot control the temperature.
Is there any way you can monitor (i.e. a temp gun) temps in the tank while the sun is hitting it?
Is there any way you can shade the tank during those hours when it hits the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom