All Living Things Reptile Decor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerBlue

To anyone who owns this brand of decor for their dragon, how do you clean it? Because the tag said no soaps or anything, so I'm wondering how to clean/disinfect the decor.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Which piece, and what's it made of? When I looked them up, there were a variety of materials.
Have you tried calling the place where you got it and asked them?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have some and mine are cleaned w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 spray bottle - mine are made of plastic material --- I rinse them w/ water and clean w/ the vinegar /water --
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I have the turtle ramp, it is a plastic type material. I've used water, vinegar, Fuker's reptile cleanr, and I've handwashed with soap. I never read the tag for cleaning instructions on the piece I got

TylerBlue

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":qeyxxyvv said:
Which piece, and what's it made of? When I looked them up, there were a variety of materials.
Have you tried calling the place where you got it and asked them?
I got them from Petco. One is made of wood (it's a hide) and another polyester resin (it's a bogwood perch). I have more, but I couldn't find material descriptions for them.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
OK, I feel like I'm kinda guessing in the dark here, so use your best judgment. :wink:

:? AFAIK, the polyester resin shouldn't be a problem.

Is the wood sealed/finished? If so, that shouldn't be a problem either--just use damp--not wet--cloth with a little detergent (test on an unseen area). If the wood is not sealed/finished, I'd try Nature's Miracle (there's a similar product for reptiles, but I haven't had a chance to compare them yet).

If there's any company contact info on the label, I'd try to contact them & ask. Silly/stupid to label something that way and NOT tell you how to clean it (if you ask me).

TylerBlue

Original Poster
The one I thought was wood is actually also resin. Can I use vinegar on these products? Will it make them dangerous for my pet?

I looked for contact info on the label and found none.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Mix in a spray bottle w/ vinegar / water 50/50 I use it to clean Hiccups tile in his tank --- its good sanitizer and it kills odors
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
TylerBlue":1beps376 said:
Can I use vinegar on these products? Will it make them dangerous for my pet?
I really don't know the answer to that. I'm not crazy bout the material (Polyester Resin). It is UV-resistant (good), but it's also water-permeable (bad). The real risks are (from what little I know of it) improper mixing and/or curing, which can leak styrene (which can be really bad :x ).

I'm not saying anyone should throw the stuff out or that it's unsafe--I just don't know.
Personally, I like natural materials (wood, stone, etc.) that I know more about and am more comfortable with.

YMMV

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Most likely the reason for that warning on the tag is because the product is painted. And cleaning might remove the finish/paint. I'd try it first in an area you dont care about to make sure it doesnt damage the paint.

-Brandon

TylerBlue

Original Poster
I just contacted the PetSmart where I bought the decor and was told to use Dawn dish soap to clean it. Do y'all agree/disagree?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
TylerBlue":3c6vau77 said:
I just contacted the PetSmart where I bought the decor and was told to use Dawn dish soap to clean it. Do y'all agree/disagree?
So... they told you to use detergent on a product with a tag that said "no soaps or anything"?

Petsmart does it again... :roll:

At this point, I have no idea. (Is there a smilie blowing his/her brains out?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom