10 gallon lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly125

So I know a 10 gallon tank isn’t sufficient for a long time but it’s all I have for my baby dragon at the moment. I got suckered into buying one of those starter kits at PetSmart and it came with a day basking light and a night light. After a bunch of research I found I don’t need a light at night because it stays warm enough in the house, but the basking light is way too weak for proper temperature. I’m going to buy a thermometer tomorrow and a new light setup but my overall question is will a mercury vapor light be a sufficient source of heat and uvb in a 10gal enclosure? I think I would also not be able to set it on top of the cage because of the wiring blocking the uvb. So would I just be better off getting one of those smaller tube lights and sticking it inside the cage with a stronger basking lamp on top, or should I get the mvb light for an all in one until a bigger setup? Thanks for reading this far!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

And MVB will be too powerful for a 10g tank.
Are you sure your current bulb isnt sufficient? If you dont have a good thermometer I'd hold off on that conclusion until you measure it with an accurate device.

The problem with a 10g tank is that it's really hard to have a proper heat gradient and uv gradient in it. You can imagine how a basking spot of 105 or 110f will make the whole tank a bit hot.
Petco is having their 1 dollar per gallon sale. That is always an option too :)
And you are correct, no lights at night just darkness :)

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree the main downside of a 10g is not being able to provide enough of a gradient to be healthy. Even a 20g long with a T8 tube and basking light would be better if you can swing it. A 100w MVB would be too powerful for a small space but are good for basking areas outside of the tank. If you have an area that you can close off and keep safe from small (inaccessible to you) places to hide and away from other animals you can set up a portable basking area using a MVB and a clamp lamp which may work (this gets easier as they get older). I'd try to find something at least a little larger though. Even if found second hand on craigslist etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom