Can I keep a bearded dragon in a aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
you need a 40 gal at the smallest - the biggest you can afford --- recommendations 75-120 gallon- one w/ front doors works the best
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The aqueon aquariums are what go on sale when petco has their 1 dollar per gallon sale :)
So lots of people have them. I agree for an adult, the smallest youd want to go is a 40g. But I find babies and small juvies can do fine in 20g tanks for a bit. But for a few bucks more, it's worth it to go with the bigger tanks imo. :)

-Brandon

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":mfaorewk said:
The aqueon aquariums are what go on sale when petco has their 1 dollar per gallon sale :)
So lots of people have them. I agree for an adult, the smallest youd want to go is a 40g. But I find babies and small juvies can do fine in 20g tanks for a bit. But for a few bucks more, it's worth it to go with the bigger tanks imo. :)

-Brandon
Yea i can get get a aqueon tank for 70 dollars cheaper (there is a sale) than buying a Terrarium

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd go for it! Even if you end up getting something bigger for your beardie at some point, it's still a good tank for something else! :)

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think a large one would be OK for a small dragon, but I would plan on replacing it in the next 6-12 months once your dragon grows. The aquariums tend to be too narrow for an adult dragon so in my opinion it would be best to consider it a short term solution.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2tejuqu0 said:
I think a large one would be OK for a small dragon, but I would plan on replacing it in the next 6-12 months once your dragon grows. The aquariums tend to be too narrow for an adult dragon so in my opinion it would be best to consider it a short term solution.
The aqueon 40 gallon breeder tank is actually bigger in height length and width than the zilla 40 gallon breeder tank

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, it's considered a 40g breeder. The dimensions are different than that of a typical 40g aquarium. :)
36x18x18

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
[MINI-RANT]
That's a good reason why I thing measuring enclosures for reptiles in gallons is... deceptive/silly.
Almost every time I see someone specify a gallon size, I have to convert to cu ft. and then wonder how tall it is. "Oh, it's a 40 long" or "a 40 gal. breeder" What the heck does that mean I know that's how aquariums/terrariums are sold, but there's NO GOOD REASON why they couldn't also specify the dimensions.

BIG SALE ON 120 GAL. TERRARIUMS! (Only to find out it's 1' x 1' x 16' tall!) :-|

YMMV

[/MINI-RANT]

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":30h3tn5m said:
[MINI-RANT]
That's a good reason why I thing measuring enclosures for reptiles in gallons is... deceptive/silly.
Almost every time I see someone specify a gallon size, I have to convert to cu ft. and then wonder how tall it is. "Oh, it's a 40 long" or "a 40 gal. breeder" What the heck does that mean I know that's how aquariums/terrariums are sold, but there's NO GOOD REASON why they couldn't also specify the dimensions.

BIG SALE ON 120 GAL. TERRARIUMS! (Only to find out it's 1' x 1' x 16' tall!) :-|

YMMV

[/MINI-RANT]

I agree, It's the L x W x D that counts as well if it's got a mesh top that opens ( don't buy it ) or a solid top with sliding glass front doors.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":usgaznie said:
MrSpectrum":usgaznie said:
[MINI-RANT]

YMMV

[/MINI-RANT]

I agree, It's the L x W x D that counts as well if it's got a mesh top that opens ( don't buy it ) or a solid top with sliding glass front doors.
I was planning to get the aquarium and just get some command hooks from lowes and mount the heat lamp and I'm getting a certain kind of uvb fixture that can stick to the glass

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You want the UVB out so he can sit directly under it and not the whole length of the tank --- sticking it to the glass is not really a good idea as he will not be able to sit directly under it
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
+1
Get acquainted with the specs on the bulb you get, and the distances your BD needs to be from it.
IMO, center of the enclosure--longitudinally (front to back)--is best. Folks here are recommending offsetting it side-to-side toward the warm side.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3t3d8iaa said:
You want the UVB out so he can sit directly under it and not the whole length of the tank --- sticking it to the glass is not really a good idea as he will not be able to sit directly under it
Karrie
I am not getting a uvb fixture that spans the entire enclosure it is only 24'' and the tank is 36'' so i will have it on the basking side of the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom