New and need help locating cleaner bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the forum and I'm hoping to get some help locating a good online source for Springtails and Isopods. I've had my dragon for a few months and I'm working on a 125 gallon tank for her to move in to. I just received all my stuff from The Bio Dude yesterday. Live plants, substrate, leaf litter, Bio Shot, decorations, etc. I guess the only thing I'm missing are Springtails and Isopods as a cleaning crew. They recommended Isopod.com but I didn't see any springtails on their site. I sent isopod.com a couple emails inquiring about them and some isopods but they never respond. That has me concerned about their reputation. I don't know much about these bugs but I have heard that some cultures may contain mites. The Dude said to look for dwarf purples, powder blues, skirted, or even giant canyon isopods. My dragon is about 4 months old and I live on the East Coast of the USA. Sure would appreciate some direction as this is the last piece of my setup. I planned on moving her in this weekend, before the bugs arrived I guess. Thanks in advance!

timberwolf

Original Poster
No, I'm still looking online. No luck finding springtails anywere and almost every site I check the isopods are sold out. Thought I had a couple decent places but neither of them answer my email questions so that makes me hesitant to order from them. I just setup my tank yesterday and was hoping to have them this week but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Thought maybe someone here would have some advice or past experience so that's why I signed up. Doesn't seem to be the case though. No worries, I'll keep looking. They're on eBay but I was hoping to avoid purchasing from some random person.
Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The biodude would have been my best guess. There are a few people on here who have bioactive setups and may have something further to add when the sign in, but I can lock or remove the thread if you still wish. Good luck!

williamk34

Hatchling Member
I apologize that I didn't notice this post a little bit earlier I've been busy the past few days when it comes to isopods and springtails for a bearded dragon enclosure and you have material from the bio dude both of my bearded dragons are on the bio dudes material but when it comes to the isopods and springtails especially around this time of year they're kind of hard to find my best experience has actually been off of eBay getting a large quantities of them the powder blues and dwarf purples which I will admit if you find one that is comboed with both I would recommend getting it because the dwarf purples and the powder blues can be a pain in the butt to find and springtails are also very easy to find on eBay just make sure you read the reviews I also recommend culture in your own if you can which is personally something I have done because I am currently working on a temporary and a permanent enclosure for my ackie monitors that I will be receiving when they hatch

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
The only thing I could suggest at the moment is to see if there are any reptile shows coming up in your area. I went to my first a week or two ago, and quite a few vendors had both isopods & springtails. If you just missed a show, or you need them sooner than the next one, check the show's website; IME, most have vendor lists. I did that before going to my first show, and had the list (and what they specialized in) with me on a clipboard--very handy. :wink:

I'd search for shows on google; the Shows section here seems a tad slow at the moment.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Yes that is a very good website as well I find between that and eBay the best way to get a hold of them I just highly recommend that you do not get them from Amazon they don't have a huge variety and Amazon I've never got them in good condition whenever I get them from Amazon also morphmarket occasionally has them

timberwolf

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate the help and advice. Has anyone had any experience with Cape Cod Roaches?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have direct experience with them but they are well known for Florida friendly and harder to find roaches. I'd consider them a reliable source if they have what you're looking for.

timberwolf

Original Poster
Thanks, I might give them a try. I was going to go with dwarf white, powder blue, and some giant canyon isopods. Are they all bearded dragon safe? I don't want anything that's going to become a nuisance to my dragon.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Also if you see something saying that adding Buffalo beetles in your bearded dragon's cage which they are just adult mealworms I would not recommend it they have been known to attack the eyes of brumating reptiles Buffalo beetles are very good to have with roach colonies because they will eat the mites if they do show up also good to have a few with the cultures of isopods not springtails they will eat the springtails

timberwolf

Original Poster
Thanks! Beetles were suggested by one of the sellers but I'm not going that route. I will probably add some dubias at some point though.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
timberwolf":32vj159e said:
Thanks, I might give them a try. I was going to go with dwarf white, powder blue, and some giant canyon isopods. Are they all bearded dragon safe? I don't want anything that's going to become a nuisance to my dragon.
Yes they will be okay isopods in general not bother your bearded dragon as your bearded dragon gets older they will actually just be ignored unless they tempt fate and decide to get right in front of your dragon or decide to walk on it they will mostly come out at night when the dragon is sleeping and eat its poop and leftover food once their populations get to a certain point basically anything that the larger clean up crew like your superworms and superworm beetles has not eaten just make sure with the isopods that you get that they can stand low moisture levels since you will be trying to keep the moisture and the humidity in the forties ideally for percentage of humidity since you're using the Tera Sahara which is what I use for my enclosures it will hold water very well I actually have crickets in mine and they have become part of the cleanup crew I did not attend for crickets to be in there some must have escaped when she was eating but they have been in there since she was little and they have never bothered her even once my dragon actually will rush out of heard in every once in a while to murder one that is chirping and get right back in LOL also until you're clean up crew or just in general I always recommend having some mint plants within the enclosure it definitely helps with the smell especially when your clean up crew has not gotten to enough numbers only I added a small amount in my enclosure which is just a little larger than yours mines 129 gallon tank for both of my dragons and for both of their cages it took about 4 months for the cleanup crew ticket to a proper population they will clean up any waste product from your dragon very quickly and it's fun to watch the microclimate if there's anything else just let feel free to send me a private message whenever I'm not busy with work I'm always more than happy to help. I build reptile enclosures in the habitat at the Pittsburgh Zoo so this is so this is always fun for me I love trying to give them a natural lifestyle they are healthier and stronger in bioactive enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom