UVB - NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi if had my bearded dragon a week now and I'm concerned about how close the UVB bulb is to him. I'm worried about his eyes or that he might get burnt as he can touch it. He came with the vivarium so that is the way it was set up but I had bought all new bulbs. The UVB bulb is only 5 and a half inches from that shelf. Is that too close?? Any advice is more than welcome, thanks, kayleigh.
105767-8094345424.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a T8 bulb to me. Do you know how old it is? If it's over about 6 months old I'd replace it. If it's fairly new, then you might consider getting a reflector to fit behind it and then move it a bit so it's attached to the ceiling and a bit more out of reach. A T8 isn't very powerful so it's best at around 6-8'' (with a reflector) but it's still a good idea to keep it out of reach. As long as it's sitting overhead it shouldn't cause visual problems and the output is low enough without a reflector (and it doesn't get hot enough) so the distance probably isn't harmful as long as he can easily get away from it if he wants to.

Kayleigh1985

Original Poster
Aw that's great thankyou! I only bought the bulb last week so its brand new and yeah it's a T8, il get a reflector and move it a bit further over asap, thanks, kayleigh.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Cooper
>> invest in a slip on polished metal focusing reflector , will effectively double the UV flux at the basking spot and elsewhere in the tank in an instant
>> move the fitting so it's directly overtop the basking spot

I'd also suggest if the the t8 tube is only a 5% or 6% UVB tube, return and exchange for a 10% or 12%UVB t8 tube since it's so new.
Aim is 160 to 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot.
See this for how to work out distance from the tube to the basking spot :
arcadia_bearded_dragon_lighting_guide.png

How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

ie aiming for the t8 12% UVB tube with reflector to be 7 inches from the basking spot.
No reflector, need the t8 12% uvb tube to be about 4 inches from the tube.
No reflector , 5 or 6% UVB t8 tube , 2 inches. With reflector 4 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom