Question on Tile Substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!
I'm a bit new to this forum/owning a beardie (however I have owned a leopard gecko (who sadly passed away due to a seemingly incurable illness :( ) and still own a gargoyle gecko who is healthy as a horse!

I had a question regarding tile substrates. Right now, I have him on some construction paper substrate as a temporary solution, until we get things set up for his larger (I believe its 40 gallon, 36x18x18 tank? I need to check again; but its certainly large).

I was watching a video where this guy was suggesting rough stone tile as a substrate (which I really like) but sites are also mentioning it should absorb heat, not reflect it. I plan to head out to my local home depot on Monday to check some out (instead of online buying) but is there any specific types that you guys might recommend I look for?

This is the video I watched with the rough tile: https://youtu.be/WG_tdwyJuOc?t=618 at 10:22. He doesn't say exactly what kind it is. I don't really mind how it looks, as long as it does its job for the animal and is fairly good for cost. I tried using slate slabs before but generally I didn't like how it fit on in the tank (though I could maybe search for a thicker/clean cut slab).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Basically use whichever tile you find that you like. I promise it wont make a difference either way (unless it's some weird mirrored glass tile or something lol)

Firstly I look for a ceramic tile I think is aesthetically pleasing. Then I feel it to make sure it has some form of texture. This allows for traction that a glazed smooth tile wouldn't provide.

I dont really like the natural stone slate tiles. They tend to flake and chip and I personally dont like the look but that's just my own thoughts.

-Brandon

PoisonedPaint

Original Poster
claudiusx":271ttdoj said:
Basically use whichever tile you find that you like. I promise it wont make a difference either way (unless it's some weird mirrored glass tile or something lol)

Firstly I look for a ceramic tile I think is aesthetically pleasing. Then I feel it to make sure it has some form of texture. This allows for traction that a glazed smooth tile wouldn't provide.

I dont really like the natural stone slate tiles. They tend to flake and chip and I personally dont like the look but that's just my own thoughts.

-Brandon
Thanks for the reply Brandon!
Thats what I seem to be hearing almost everywhere. :) I assume the difference between glazed/non glazed would be that one reflects heat while the other absorbs heat? (besides the rough/smooth texture). Sorry if thats a silly question; I just wanna be sure I end up getting the right thing/don't spend an arm and leg on it haha!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They both will absorb the heat in their environment, I just stay away from glazed so that my dragons can move around without slipping all over lol.
You could also look into linoleum. others use it with good success and it can look really nice too.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have slated ceramic tile in my tank and I love it -- it stays cool and does not heat up like others think - it has different temps in the basking area and Hiccup seems to like it I also have a fleece blanket in his hide so he has something soft to sleep on too and lots of decor for him to climb on to get off the tile if he wants to
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom