Vermiculite as a substrate cause impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UniqueInFlorida

Hi, I’m new to the board as far as posting but have learned so much from reading posts; I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge contributed here. My question: Can using vermiculite as a substrate cause an impaction if they ingest it? I’m currently using organic alfalfa pellets but was wondering if it would work mixing with vermiculite. I’ve been unable to find anything concrete on this subject on the web. Thank you all so much in advance!! ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
UniqueInFlorida":eupjt18c said:
Hi, I’m new to the board as far as posting but have learned so much from reading posts; I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge contributed here. My question: Can using vermiculite as a substrate cause an impaction if they ingest it? I’m currently using organic alfalfa pellets but was wondering if it would work mixing with vermiculite. I’ve been unable to find anything concrete on this subject on the web. Thank you all so much in advance!! ?

I wouldn't use either, they will provide a perfect media for germs and molds to grow and will retain moisture and increase the tank humidity , as well as being an impaction risk.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
UniqueInFlorida":16h4bc5d said:
Hello,

I'd highly recommend against using vermiculite. It's only good for incubating eggs, nothing else really. Like as Nobbys said, it is a perfect farm for bacteria and mold, It is an impaction risk as well, And can drastically increase your humidity which could lead to a bad URI.

I'd also recommend against using alfalfa pellets, also an impaction risk and germ farm. Honestly I'd steer clear from any loose substrates and just use Tile or paper towels or linoleum.
Bmjo":16h4bc5d said:
use tile its cheap and easy to clean with no risk for impaction
I'll do you one better; Use Linoleum. Insanely easy to clean, cheap as heck, and typically looks a bit better. And it also is MUCH easier to take out when you really need to clean it off.
When I had tile anytime it got really dirty I would have to take it out and it was heavy and scraped the glass which really annoyed me. But with linoleum I can just fold it up and take it out without much hassle.

And the price is so much better! I got at least 10 feet worth for only $5. I'm really glad I switched to linoleum. Tile is still a really great substrate (perhaps a bit better in several aspects) but for the cheapskate like me, It's linoleum all the way Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom