Beardie is stressed when in his tank..... why!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know if I’m writing this in the proper
Place, sorry if not, but I have a baby bearded dragon, I got him from petco I believe he is 3 months old? I’ve had him for about a month a little over, hasn’t grown much and has only shed once (last time was two -three weeks ago)? Now I’m concerned about the little guy. He seems to be comfortable with me and trust me, he sleeps on me every night and I take him outside almost every day when it’s nice n sunny so he can get some uvb. I have a thirty gallon gold fish tank so it’s like a 20 gal long but taller. I have a 150 watt ExoTerra extreme basking bulb ( I also have a regular heat lamp bulb 125 watt and a eco terra extremes basking 10 watt bulb) but I’m using the 150 watt because it seems to be the one that gives the proper temps? I also have a 100 watt heat emitter which I use sometimes with the 150 watt basking bulb so that the temps are correct, I use probe thermometers and a heat gun and the temps have been good? Up on his basking perch’s it’s about 100-115 degrees depending on which spot he chooses, his hammock is a good 95 and over in the cool side it’s about 85 or so. He never goes to the cool side, rarely. He has been good and not displaying any stress marks until a couple of days ago all of a sudden every time I put him in his tank he is dark dark dark with stress marks, as soon as I take him out he’s nice creamy white again. I’ve been fiddling with different bulbs thinking maybe that’s why he’s stressed but I don’t think or don’t know why..... when I first got him he ate for the first three days and then stopped eating for like two weeks, would not eat any insects , I brought him to the vet and they said he looked good and gave me an appetite stimulator and denwormer, neither got him to eat. All of a Swidden one days (about 5 days ago) he started eating again. Not as much as people say babies are suppose to eat but he is eating I’d say about 6-10 roaches a day and it’s broken up into 3 feedings, so usually 3-4 in each feeding. He has been eating carrots and I’ve been offering other veggies but he just wants carrots. Anyway the othe day he was twitching his legs realllly fast and he appeared bloated and wasn’t pooping as much and he couldn’t jump or walk well without shaking and being clumsy so I brought him back to the vet and they said he looked fine so I asked for calcium and that’s what they gave me, some liquid oral calcium supplement. Seems like those symptoms have subsided. Soooo anyway just wanted to give a background here. Oh and he has the 24 inch good with the 22 inch reptisun t5 10.0 uvb bulb. Why is he soo dark when he’s in his tank? Anyone know? Oh and he ate ate a green caterpillar outside today...... he seems ok thank god and he loves it so I just ordered hornworms for him.

104453-1277354476.jpg
This is how dark he gets when he in his tank.....

104453-5533284265.jpg
This isnhim when he’s out of his tank, we’re outside in this picture.

104453-1309335167.jpg
This is his tank
Oh and. Just added one of those logs, the chollo wood or whatever it’s called? I just added that and he seems to use it to bask, so I assumed it wasn’t that making him stressed but I don’t know
Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you using all three of these bulbs at the same time? 150 watt ExoTerra extreme basking bulb ( I also have a regular heat lamp bulb 125 watt and a eco terra extremes basking 10 watt bulb) the UVB is it in a hood or fixture? It looks like its on the back of the tank--- and it doesnt look like its in a fixture --
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Yeah it’s in a fixture and it’s inside the tank! I think it’s the actual reptisun brand hood that was made specifically for the bulb. And no I’m not using all three , just the 150 watt basking bulb, the uvb and sometimes the heat emitter only when it’s cold outside and the temps go down. Otherwise right. Ow all I have going is the 159 watt baskkngbulb and the uvb going!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure they are actually stress marks-- they tend to get black to absorb heat-- someone else is gonna to look and see what they think
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Oh ok thank you! Hmm I was wondering because I had broken my 150 watt a few days ago so I put in a 125 watt and he was like that so I went n bought the 150 watt like I had before and he has stil been that way, so I was wondering what was going on! And wasn’t sure if he was stressed for some reason or always wants to come out or what’s going on I don’t know, this little guy has been going through quite a lot ever since I got him but we keep getting over the hurdles, he’s a tough little guy and I really care about him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom