Halogen Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Hi all. I have a 75w halogen bulb for my 4ft x18”x18” vivarium, I really like it but I have just read that the eu regulations are banning these halogen bulbs And retailers are told to sell led bulbs instead. I was told the led bulbs do not give off heat like halogen. So what can we do to provide both light and heat for our reptiles basking spot?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd stock up on them then if I were you :p

You might want to read into the proposed law a bit more to make sure you understand it fully. There was a scare like that in the us maybe a decade ago and I'm still finding halogens and incandescent bulbs everywhere. Idk if it's because the law never went through or because there were so many loop holes to it.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I still get them at hardware stores but I find they are increasingly difficult to get as they are replaced by LED and high efficiency equivalents (not good for heat production). It may eventually come down to needing to use reptile branded bulbs from pet shops which is unfortunate. Perhaps a competitor will emerge to meet the demand and produce cheap halogens (what you're getting at the hardware store now) for reptile and aquarium use which may get around the regulations.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I will definitely get some spares in. Just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom