enclosure height minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=249112

Be aware that UVI = 0 is a TOTALLY arbitrary figure, as it's physically impossible to achieve this by way of distance from the tube unless the tank is much taller than 4ft or the end of the tank is a similar distance from the end of the T5ho tube.
The only realistic way of achieving this arbitrary UVI = 0 is to provide a hide for the dragon to be able retreat into when it needs it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":16uendem said:
Wrong.

-Brandon

I refer you to revisit your physics textbook and look up the INVERSE SQUARE LAW
inverse-square-law-for-light-intensity.png

, this is highschool science.

In simple terms
It can also be mathematically expressed as:
inverse-square-law-for-light-intensity-maths.png

or
inverse-square-law-for-light-intensity-maths2.png

So calculate away , if you assume any given UV-index of under 0.1 is your zero , you can easy work out far you need to be away from the source to get this.

Or simply refer Arcadia's own data for the T5HO tubes as sumarised here :
inverse-square-law-in-action.png

for a T5ho 12%UVB tube without a reflector , the UV-I at 60cm from the tube is near 1 ,
for a T5ho 12%UVB tube with a reflector hood , the UV-I at 60cm from the tube is about 2.5
, it's not practical to have a tank tall or long enough to get UV-I under 0.5 with a T5ho or a T8 UVB tube.
ie UV-I for T5ho 12%UVB tube in a reflector hood will require
D(0.1) = squareroot ((8.2/0.1) x 30 ^2) = 272 cm
D(0.5) = 121.5cm (48 inches)
D(1.0) = 86cm (34 inches)
The ONLY PRACTICAL way to give the dragon a ZERO UV-I area is to give it a hide.

Can not ignore the physics.

The minimum practical height for a bearded dragon's tank is governed more by the way the basking globe and basking spot are set up than by the UV source to basking spot distance , it's necessary for the basking globe to produce a basking spot at a maximum of 40 degC (AIR TEMPERATURE) this will be determined by the wattage of the basking globe , and try to have the t5ho 12%UVB tube and reflector about 12 inches from the basking spot.
I did some calcs to design my new tanks some time ago and I settled on a minimum height per bay ( lights all mounted from the roof of each bay) of 45cm which gave me a bit of "wriggle room", 80W basking globes , 12%UVB T5ho tubes in reflector hoods , solid timber tops ).

You will have more flexibility if you incorporate a dimming thermostat in the basking globe setup, this way you can simply dial up the air temperature (or surface surface (will be different dependent on the emissivity of the surface being warmed - that's another issue), depending how you set up your thermostat's probe) and let the thermostat respond to the ambient conditions. Then the aim is setting up the uv source to give the level of UVB (or UV-I if you choose to go that way) at the basking spot.

A thermal and a UV gradient are both desireable and your dragon will migrate to and throw throughout the day as it feels the need.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I am watching this thread. Please refrain from personal attacks. I do not want to have to lock this thread due to yet another argument. It seems obvious to me that Arcadia's spec recommendations would be the guidelines to follow. After all, they are the lighting experts.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just a suggestion but the dragon doesnt have much floor space -- I would take out some of the rocks out to get him floor space or get a longer tank --- its seems to be crowded in the tank itself--- just a suggestion
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
lilyofsalen":r9moec4g said:
ok thank you, I'm using a t5 ho fixture with reflector and a t5 arcadia 12% 22 inch tube. I've read the basking spot needs to be 12-14 inches from the bulb for a reptisun 10.0. Is the arcadia 12% the same basking distance?

According to kingofnobbys' chart, the targeted 200 microW UVB for a new T5 HO arcadia 12% is hit at just about 10 inches (or 26 cm). I've been told that arcadias are better bulbs so I have a hard time believing their UVB output is less than reptisun. I would also like to see what another source's numbers say as well but I'm having troubles finding one, could you point me to a good resource?

I believe comes this from people using a general rule of thumb T5HO 10%-12% UVB about 30cm is going to give adequate UV at the basking spot. 12% UVB and 14% uvb tubes are a very recent development.
The 12% UVB tube produces 6/5 x more UV flux, so should be 6/5 x further away cf the T5ho 10% UVB . Most will simply swap from Zoo Med to Arcadia (some length tube and not bother moving the basking spot (to compensate or simply don't know the difference).

14" tall is cutting it fine for a 10 or 12% T5ho tube and 36" long will eventually be too small for the dragon as it grows. I guess you could make the hide double as a basking spot ( I do this in my rearing tubs ).

lilyofsalen

Original Poster
KarrieRee":s2yw9sns said:
Just a suggestion but the dragon doesnt have much floor space -- I would take out some of the rocks out to get him floor space or get a longer tank --- its seems to be crowded in the tank itself--- just a suggestion
Karrie

That picture was meant mostly to show off the new taller roof. I hot glued all those rocks and more to the wall and plastered excavator between them so it looks like a sheer clay/dirt cliff with pretty rocks peeking through. I still have to go back through and polish some rocks that I missed but the sides are done. Also, please dismiss the white patch. There was a plant there but I decided that the space would be best used by Torrin. I will cover it in excavator when I get the chance.
104488-4189175158.jpg

lilyofsalen

Original Poster
When should I upgrade her cage length to 4 feet? She is 16 inches long right now and 1.5 years old (possibly more). I really don't think she will grow too much more, she hasn't grown a lot since I got her 4 months ago either (maybe an inch at most).

It wouldn't be too bad to make it a foot longer either (it would suck decor-wise though . . .). I would just need three panels of wood and a couple 2x6s.

However, I wonder if she will ever get long enough to need an upgrade.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
lilyofsalen":1yx1lgvc said:
When should I upgrade her cage length to 4 feet? She is 16 inches long right now and 1.5 years old (possibly more). I really don't think she will grow too much more, she hasn't grown a lot since I got her 4 months ago either (maybe an inch at most).

Yes …. I think she'll appreciate the extra space as she still has 6 to 9 months of growth in her..

It wouldn't be too bad to make it a foot longer either (it would suck decor-wise though . . .). I would just need three panels of wood and a couple 2x6s.

However, I wonder if she will ever get long enough to need an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom