Am I doing everything right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello this is the first time I am making a post. I would just like to ask a general question of if I am doing everything right. Hes my first dragon after my ferret died at a young age from unknown causes Heres some info (or at least everything I can think of):

I've had him for a year (give or take). His name is Paul. He lives in a 50 gallon aquarium that was used for a reptile enclosure. He's sixteen inches long last time I measured but hes still growing! He has a 10 UVB 13 watt bulb and 15 watt 25 UVB tube bulb with a reflective surface around it. He also has a ceramic heat lamp that doesn't emit any visible light. He has big log that was bought at the pet store. That is on the right side bottom corner. He has a water dish on the left hand side top corner with a decorative fake flower. He had a decorative succulent also fake that he had as a baby. Its situated by the log. He has one of those mats that you put in your kitchen drawers as his floor since I read loose substrate isn't good.

Alright that's all I can think of now. Please do ask any questions you have. I am fairly knowledgeable about them but I'm still learning so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. Thank a ton.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 13 watt bulb is that a basking bulb?????? And the UVB is a ? what brand? Can you post pics of your tank and lighting and we can see what we can offer help w/? Go to top of page in the banner click on user image uploader- down load pics -- click on reply at the top of message box click on XIMG - pics should post
thanks Karrie

bigsad9000

Original Poster
104682-9565879097.jpg

This is his tank. He has two UVB producing bulbs. Ones a 13 watt the other a 15 watt. The 13 watt is a fluorescent and the brand is a reptisun. The tube bulb is a 15 watt from the brand all living things. Hope this helps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like the tank layout. He has a lot of branches to climb around on and a nice half log hide to use if he wants. I think the lighting can be improved upon a bit. I wouldn't bother using the 13w compact UVB light. They aren't powerful enough to be of much use for a dragon. The T8 tube should be OK for now though, in a tank that size. I would set it over the basking area so he can get about 6'' under it if he wants to. Those fixtures sometimes come with clear plastic covers over the bulb. You'll want to remove that permanently since it will intercept the UVB.

You'll also want to add a bright white basking bulb. You should be able to use the socket that the 13w bulb is using now as long as the fixture is rated to handle the wattage. The wattage you need will really depend on what the surface temperature readings are. It's important to have accurate temperature readings so using a digital thermometer with a probe or an IR temp gun is recommended. You want the basking surface to be somewhere around 100-110 while areas away from that are cooler. Around 75-85 or so is a good range to shoot for. You can adjust the temps by using different wattages or by raising/lowering the basking light as needed (adjustable lamp stands help with this). A halogen flood light might help with this, or you could use a reptile specific bulb if you wish (ZooMed Repti Basking Spot or similar) just avoid the ones with neodymium coating.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. As for the light I have a duel lamp with the 13 watt in it and the ceramic heat lamp next to it. The heat lamp is directly over the brown log at the top so he can get warm. So from what you said I should get rid of the 13 watt and replace it with something stronger? Or should i just straight up get rid of it and just use the tube light? Or should I get 3 lamps? I would like the heat lamp over his basking log so I don't want to move the duel lamp. Should I just move the tube light over next to the dual lamp?

As for the temps. At the bottom of the tank it stays at around 75-85 degrees. I just measured it and its in the 80-86 ranges currently. For the basking spot it usually stays at 100+ degrees but sometimes it does dip into the 90s but it doesn't go below 95 degrees. I measured it just now and its at 120 degrees.

Also one more thing I would like to ask just from eyeing him does he LOOK healthy? Thanks alot.
104682-6867061048.jpg

bigsad9000

Original Poster
I wish I could've got a picture of him when he isn't so dark but hes usually bright yellow with some orange spots on his shoulders and neck.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy based on the photo. It's a good sign if he's usually displaying bright colors. That usually means they are happy.

As for the lighting, just replace the 13w UVB bulb. You can use the CHE during the day as supplemental heat if you want to, but you'll want a bright white light in place. Keep in mind that you're trying to simulate natural sunlight which is bright with heat and UVB components. Use the T8 tube for UVB and set it right next to the basking light (and CHE if you want to keep using that for heat) so that all 3 components are strongest over the main basking area.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
I forgot to mention something. A new behavior has popped up recently. He started glass surfing again. The only time he's ever glass surfed was when he was a baby but that was because we were using a heat lamp that emitted red light and it caused him to be up all night. But after we got rid of it and put in the ceramic heat lamp he's been really happy. But now he's started again. Even when I take him out and let him run around a bit in my room as soon as he gets back in his tank he starts doing it again shortly after. I would like to mention that I rearranged his tank and he started doing it. His water dish was where the log was and the log was right by the tree. I did this so that he would have more floor space. I'm not worried about it right now since I thought he was just getting use to the change but I would like a more experienced opinion.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would look at upgrading the tank -- recommendations for a full potential growth of a dragon is a 75-120 gallon tank - the glass surfing is only going to get worse if he doesnt have the floor space-- I would try and find a new enclosure w/ front doors--- I agree w/Cooperdragon get rid of the coil UVB if thats what it is -- coils are no good especially for the eyes-- usually CHE are used for nite time if you cant keep the temp above 65--- your basking bulb should be hot enough during the day to keep the temp up for him and it should be a bright white bulb --- I would push for 65-70 for nite time temps and 80 during the day for cool side of tank ---
Karrie

bigsad9000

Original Poster
It isn't a coil its more like a long arch. I don't know how to describe it other than that but it isn't a coil.
I'll definitely look into a bigger tank. I really thought that a 50 gallon would be good but nope lol. Anything for my little boy though. I'll also look into a stronger lamp with a bright white light. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
With that being said please replace w/ this -
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- you can shop on line for these and figure out which one you want to get --- I have a Arcadia 14% bulb inside my tank- its a 120 gallon ZenHabitat -- but I would be replacing the UVB as soon as you can---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom