Am I doing everything right

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
Thank you for the info. I've done alot of research over the year that I've had him and I know not to buy reptiglo or that other brand. I'm trying to figure out the soonest I can buy a new tank and bulb. Thankfully we got all of his stuff from a breeder after we upgraded his tank and he was very knowledgeable. We are on a tight budget but were willing to buy anything he needs.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
Hi just an update. We got him a new tank and were trying to work on getting a new bulb. I decided that were just gonna get a new lamp and put a 5 uvb flourescent bulb and put a 10 uvb in the dual lamp. The new rank we got him is a 80 gallon aqaurium.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What is a 10 UVB? If that is a coil its no good! The 5.0 is not as strong as the 10.0 HO tube bulb- its equivalent to a T 8 so the next time you change that out in 6 months I would get the 10.0 HO tube
Karrie

bigsad9000

Original Poster
KarrieRee":yiyrbvre said:
What is a 10 UVB? If that is a coil its no good! The 5.0 is not as strong as the 10.0 HO tube bulb- its equivalent to a T 8 so the next time you change that out in 6 months I would get the 10.0 HO tube
Karrie

With further discussion were actually just gonna put two reptisun 10 uvb florescent bulbs along with the tube bulb on top of his tank.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
I'm trying to figure out if I want to get two florescent bulbs or tube bulbs so that's still being debated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How big is the tank and you should only need one good one-- you dont want to over UVB him
Karrie

bigsad9000

Original Poster
It's an 80 gallon aqaurium. This will be his tank for the rest of his life because we its feel enough.

104682-1183454614.jpg

I'm getting him two bulbs since I dont feel like what he has is enough for the size of his tank and how old he is. I'm probably going to get two bulbs since I think the tube ones will be too strong.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
I kinda accidentally broke his flourescent bulb so I have a spare 5% UVB bulb in there right now. I know it's not enough but were gonna get him some new stuff on the weekend hopefully.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
I'm also debating about getting him a multivitamin supplement. I never felt like he needed this since he gets a pretty varied diet but I'm still thinking about it. Obviously he gets a dust of calcium powder in his veggies in the morning everyday.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please add the vitamin to his bugs ---- the UVB is on top of the screen preventing the UVB rays - it filters them out so basically hes getting none- I would get a 10.0 bulb either a T 5 or T 8 I dont know what kind of fixture you have in your tank -- it needs to go inside the tank depending on the T 5 or T 8 --- 8-10 inches for a T 8 ---- 10-11 for a T 5 - they take a different fixture --- he needs it inside the tank -- he needs to be able to sit under that UVB right now he cant --- what kind of substrate do you have in the tank? Please get rid of the Reptiglo -- bad for eyes ---- you need the Reptisun 10.0 bulb T8 or T 5--
Karrie

bigsad9000

Original Poster
KarrieRee":34d83x1k said:
Please add the vitamin to his bugs ---- the UVB is on top of the screen preventing the UVB rays - it filters them out so basically hes getting none- I would get a 10.0 bulb either a T 5 or T 8 I dont know what kind of fixture you have in your tank -- it needs to go inside the tank depending on the T 5 or T 8 --- 8-10 inches for a T 8 ---- 10-11 for a T 5 - they take a different fixture --- he needs it inside the tank -- he needs to be able to sit under that UVB right now he cant --- what kind of substrate do you have in the tank? Please get rid of the Reptiglo -- bad for eyes ---- you need the Reptisun 10.0 bulb T8 or T 5--
Karrie

1. Quite the contrary actually. The bulbs actually sit over nothing and even when he had his 50 gallon the holes in the screen were so wide that I could stick my finger through them. I am like 100% sure that he was getting enough UVB in his 50 gallon tank. I am going to have my dad fix him a cover similar to what I had before because I dont really feel comfortable with them dangling over the edge and him not having a cover. I've actually walked in on him climbing on top of his lamps so definitely gonna get him a cover.

2. I have absolutely no idea what this T5 or T8 stuff even means it's like speaking another langauge to me. He has plenty of options when it comes to how close he can get to his lamps. I'm sure it just looks weird from the angle the picture is taken. He just had a 10% uvb florescent bulb and a 25% uvb tube bulb and he was perfectly healthy. So I'm gonna just do what I've been doing but if I run into any problems then I'll look into this "T5 T8" stuff. AGAIN he has lots of options when it comes to how close he wants to get. The only way I can describe what kind of fixture he has is that he has a zoo med duel lamp but other than that I have no idea what your talking about. I dont wanna make a pointless change unless I have to because not all of us have a tree that grows money.

3. I have one of those mats that you put in those kitchen drawers as substrate. Loose substrate is really bad no matter what any dumbass says about it.

4. I dont remember mentioning I had a reptiglo. Ever.

I know I have a reptiSUN but not a reptiglo. I have a all living things tube bulb too. I thought I already mentioned this but I guess I didn't but whaddya gonna do? ?‍♂️

I've always used the reptisun always. It's very reliable without being needlessly complicated.

5. I'll see what I can do about the multivitamin. Hopefully I can find a powder form of it because that would be alot more convenient but over the year or more I've had him hes gotten by without it so I'm not that worried. I feed my crickets orange cubes so I'm like 99% sure that's where he gets his vitamins. Maybe I'll get it just as paranoia induced fail safe but idk if it's even necessary.

Dont worry. Everything is under control. I've probably done more research than is probably necessary because I'm so god damn paranoid. I just wanted to do an update of his size enclosure so I really dont need this forum anymore so it can be closed or whatever.

bigsad9000

Original Poster
The only reason I asked this page what I should do was because I wasn't 100% sure I needed to get him a bigger tank. I was 95% sure I did need to do that but I made a reasonable judgment and decided that I should get a second opinion. I am very confident in my care of my animals so I dont need people accusing me of not knowing how to take care of an animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom