Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Our dimming thermostat hasn’t been adjusted but the temps keep dropping below 95 , we are into spring here in uk and we have had a bit of sunshine last couple of days. Would that affect the temps and make the light dim ? Or could there be something wrong with the thermostat or bulbs ? Thermostat is set at 88 and bulbs are 100w pro rep basking bulb.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm confused. Why is your thermostat set to 88? So it's set to turn off when the temp gets to 88 or to turn on if it gets under 88?

Is this at your basking surface? That should be around 105.

-Brandon

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No. The probe of the thermostat is 3/4 of the way down the vivarium so that’s where I want it 88. The basking area is usually between 95 - 110. And the cool end 80 but the last couple of days the basking light has been dimming so much that it’s making the basking area around 90. But what I want to know is will the house temperature make the vivarium temps fluctuate ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It does mine--- if the room is cold it can make the temp a little colder and in summer time it can make the temp warmer-- thats why the temp gun is used to make sure its not getting too hot -- not so much cold but too hot --- I know if I keep the office door closed it makes the room warmer -- especially in summer time -- the sun coming into the room
Karrie

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks again karrie. This dragon will be the death of me, on a plus side she has eaten some silkworms and where the veg sticks to the worm she’s been getting a little of that too. Also went out today with her harness. She wasn’t sure at first. Birds flying around and strange noises but she soon settled and had a lay down on the grass in the sunshine :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well I would put the thermostat sensor at the basking site and set it to the temp your basking surface needs to be. That's the only temp that really matters. Let the hot side be at whatever it will be as long as your basking surface is hot enough.

-Brandon

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I thought the basking site was under the heat lamp ? If that’s the case the thermostat wouldn’t reach the desired temperature if I placed the probe there because the highest the thermostat can be set to is 92 degrees. The place she spends most of her time is either under her cave in the heat or on some rocks where the probe is and temps are 88. When she has eaten her food she lays under the heat lamp for a while

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is she pooping ok? That's gonna tell you she's digesting her food-- and for outside -- awesome-- 15 minutes out there in sun is like 4 hrs under UVB-- or so I was told-- you still might want to get a infrared heat gun and as far as dimmers go I don't use them so I really can't give info on that topic
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The basking site should be under the heat lamp yes and it should be around 105 or so. If your thermostat only can go to 92 idk how it would be very useful in the case of dragons. Like you've already mentioned, you're having trouble with it. A thermostat really isnt needed and I wouldn't be using one unless it was capable of producing the basking surface temp I need.

-Brandon

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is pooping fine , every other day or typically when she has a bath , here in England we use dimming thermostat, I was told it is to control the heat end and not let the rest of the enclosure get too warm. I have been trusting the digital thermometer which is at 96.6 so I used the gun and temps are 105.8 that is 10 degrees difference. ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yep that is why I said used the temp gun--- gives more accurate temp so your good I would say---
Karrie

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Brill thank you. I’ve put on pictures of the thermostat, position of thermostat probe if you can see it , the digital thermometer, and the prob for that also the heat gun I’ve got, maybe you could say if something is wrong or in wrong place.
100805-5540028168.jpg
100805-9882390098.jpg
100805-4482420441.jpg
100805-5538987559.jpg
100805-4672036599.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would say your thermomstat probe is ambient temperature but what you want to go by is your heat gun -- can you move your probe onto the side of tank where it can be seen-- like by your platform - I believe it's hiding correct?
Karrie

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Move the thermostat probe that’s behind the plant? Do you mean stick it to the back of the vivarium and not on floor ? About 2” above the floor ? Yes she’s hiding in that cave a lot of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom