Illuminated Area - Tank Too Dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am wondering is my son's viv too dark? On one side I have a UVB/Heat combo lamp and ceramic heat lamp. After a couple hours the cave under the current lighting has reached 100 degrees, per infrared thermometer. The cool side is currently at 80 degrees.

However, I wonder if the other half of the viv should be brightly lit (in the day) with another UVB light too? I turned the light off in his room, so that you can see how dark the "cool side" is (see images below).

Should I purchase maybe a 12" tube for the cool side, so that it also has light?

104064-1183310599.jpg

104064-5435096081.jpg

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First off you need the correct lighting for the tank --- you need this type of UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please make sure you get the 10.0 bulb and not the 5.0 HO -- that bulb is more for tropical reptiles -- next after getting that fixed you can always use a household bulb on the cool side of the tank like a REGULAR 60 watt bulb -- no LED- bulbs--
UVB bulbs are crucial to their over all health --
Karrie

BeardedDragonGma

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3e3e80om said:
First off you need the correct lighting for the tank --- you need this type of UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please make sure you get the 10.0 bulb and not the 5.0 HO -- that bulb is more for tropical reptiles -- next after getting that fixed you can always use a household bulb on the cool side of the tank like a REGULAR 60 watt bulb -- no LED- bulbs--
UVB bulbs are crucial to their over all health --
Karrie

Thank you for the advise Karrie. The UVB/basking light I have, which has really good reviews, was listed in several articles as a good light. So if the current light is not sufficient do you think that if I got a 12” ReptiSun on the cool side that it would sufficient?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What size is your tank? If there is a coil UVB in that dual dome your using please take it out-- I am not sure reptisun has a 12"-- I think the smallest is a 18" -- he needs to be able to sit under that UVB like 8-10 inches for the T 8
Karrie

BeardedDragonGma

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

I got him a 67 gallon tank (48x18x18).

The UVB basking lamp is a mercury vapor lamp, linked here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWSJKJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_MV5TCb5GDQFJN

ReptiSun has a 12” light and Carolina Custom Cages has a 12” fixture. I could probably do an 18” too if I need to. I’m going to look at the pet store today to see what they have.

So the tank does need more light on the cool side, in your opinion...?

Thanks for the input.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hold off on
97951-1918616193.jpg
bulb for now IAM going to ask someone about that but you could use a reg household bulb on the cool side - the tank does seem dark - I like my tank lit up in the day -- here's a pic of my tank it's a 120 gallon -- I will get back w/ you on bulb
97951-1410759176.jpg

Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm not crazy about them in the main tanks because they give off a relatively narrow beam of UVB. Think of it like an inverted traffic cone with the highest intensity being in a small area right center under the bulb. Some of the brands have a wider beam than others though. I prefer using them for travel and for out of tank basking lights. They are lightweight and when the temps don't matter quite as much and they have a lot of space available to regulate themselves they work pretty well. The MegaRay bulbs I use are pretty good but especially narrow. The PowerSun bulbs are pretty good too with a wider beam. Arcadia makes them too but they aren't as easy to find in the US and are more common in the UK.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that was Cooperdragons response to the UVB -- I guess it would be up to you to change it out-- you will spend more money on the Reptisun bulb and fixture- you can find those at Petco or Petsmart the T 8's -- they take a regular fixture-- the T 5's are a flat fixture and I have never found one in the pet stores where I live so I ordered mine on line--- hope that helps
Karrie

BeardedDragonGma

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

I ended up adding a 22" Carolina Customs Cages T5 HO fixture with an Arcadia T5 12% tube. He still loves his mercury vapor UV/basking light though. He seems to definitely be hunting better now. I am glad I added the light. The tank looks better and brighter too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes it looks very nice---- if you get tired of the reptile carpet you can always change over to non adhesive shelf liner--- it is very easy to clean - cheap- it can be purchased from Home Depot Lowes etc.... if you decide on that make sure you get some w/ some sort of texture to it so he doesnt slip -- also slated ceramic tile as well - but I would only get that if you are keeping him in this enclosure permanently-- that too is cheap and easy to clean --- vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom