Lighting help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianna17

hello!
as you can probably tell by the title.. i need some help with lighting :( im awfully confused.. my tank is a 36-40 gallon (not exactly sure). ive been using 13w UVB for the past 2 years for my beardie and i dont know if i should change it? ive done my research and everything and whenever i ask people about the uvb bulb and what i should buy, nobody knows! so im really unsure what wattage it should be at. if you guys could maybe recommend me a heating lamp too, that would be great. i just feel like my current set up isnt working as well as it used to. for my heat lamp, i use 100w intense basking spot. all of my lights are from exo terra if that helps as well.

for image reference:

rRPOPpG.jpg

sOFA7B2.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That UVB needs to go -- here is what we recommend on this board--
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- --
how long is the tank ? do you know gallon size?
As long as the basking bulb is keeping temps for basking 90-105 for adult your good - babies need warmer like 100-110 or so --- how are you taking the temps in tank?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom