how to heat a 125 gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillee

hi!! so i’ve had my beardie, gerald, for almost a year now, and he’s in a 125 gallon tank (fear not, he was in a 20 breeder as a baby and then i moved him when he was big enough). however, i’m having trouble heating it. at present, he has two ceramic heat emitters in his basking area - both 150 watts -, however, it still doesn’t get above 83 ish degrees, not nearly what he needs. my first thought was another che, however, 3-4 che’s for his basking area alone seems excessive, and i can’t seem to find higher watt che’s, at least not ones with good reviews. any suggestions on other ways to heat his tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of his tank and lighting and we can better help from there
go to user image uploader at the top of this page-- download pics-- click on reply - at top of message box click on XIMG- pics should post wait for page to refresh and check and see it they posted
Karrie

lillee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":9wbwwc8s said:
Please post a pic of his tank and lighting and we can better help from there
go to user image uploader at the top of this page-- download pics-- click on reply - at top of message box click on XIMG- pics should post wait for page to refresh and check and see it they posted
Karrie
104091-2225173465.jpg
I’ve been in the process of upgrading his tank, that’s why it looks so boring atm? his basking side is the left - I’ve not been able to get the temps right so haven’t finished creating his left side yet. he has the two che’s, both 150 Watts, and a heating pad on the bottom - i can move it if needed, that’s just where i originally placed it. his uv light is inside the tank on the wall in the middle.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are ches the only thing you're using for overhead heating?
No actual light emitting bulb for heat?

-Brandon

lillee

Original Poster
claudiusx":21kl9ahn said:
Are ches the only thing you're using for overhead heating?
No actual light emitting bulb for heat?

-Brandon

yes. i used to use heat/uv lights, then switched exclusively to che’s so it’s dark at night when his uv light turns off and doesn’t disturb his sleep.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He needs a basking light -- a bright white light - it will be trial and error-- w/ that -- I would start w/ a 100 watt-- make sure you have a infrared heat gun to get accurate temp on his basking spot-- it doesn't look like he can get to his UVB-- what kind is it--- brand ?
Karrie

lillee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":25pu3ptw said:
He needs a basking light -- a bright white light - it will be trial and error-- w/ that -- I would start w/ a 100 watt-- make sure you have a infrared heat gun to get accurate temp on his basking spot-- it doesn't look like he can get to his UVB-- what kind is it--- brand ?
Karrie

it’s a zoo med

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A zoo med? Reptisun? T5 or T 8? He needs to be able to sit under that UVB-- and is he having trouble eating or pooping? W/ out proper heating I am surprised he's not having issues since the lighting plays a huge role in their over all health
Karrie

lillee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":fxyakcdg said:
A zoo med? Reptisun? T5 or T 8? He needs to be able to sit under that UVB-- and is he having trouble eating or pooping? W/ out proper heating I am surprised he's not having issues since the lighting plays a huge role in their over all health
Karrie

It’s a reptisun 10.0. he eats and poops just fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well once you get a white bright basking bulb in there your temps should start going up--- just make sure you have a heat gun to get the temp-- a digital probe should be put in the tank on the cool side-- temps in your tank should be 95- 105 for adult 100-110 for a baby-- hot side-- cool side 80's during day no lower than 65 at night w/ all lights off-- my tank is a 120 gallon Zen habitat I use a 100 watt EXO terro basking bulb -- keeps hot side around 95-104-
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes you need to have a basking bulb that produces visible light. That is very important. Che's really should only be used at night for what you mentioned, heat at night and complete darkness.

-Brandon

lillee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1bvut9uc said:
Well once you get a white bright basking bulb in there your temps should start going up--- just make sure you have a heat gun to get the temp-- a digital probe should be put in the tank on the cool side-- temps in your tank should be 95- 105 for adult 100-110 for a baby-- hot side-- cool side 80's during day no lower than 65 at night w/ all lights off-- my tank is a 120 gallon Zen habitat I use a 100 watt EXO terro basking bulb -- keeps hot side around 95-104-
Karrie
do you have a pic of your setup?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes--
97951-1918616193.jpg
97951-1410759176.jpg
The dome in center of tank is a 100 watt CHE-- the dome on far left basking-- dome on far right a 60 watt household bulb used for light-- I like my tank lit during the day-- my CHE is off during summer- used only during colder months
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom