Changing lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalin81

So I'm still a newbie, but loving having a beardie. I adopted an adult and she came with a full set up. It wasn't until a few days later I learned about changing the light every 6 months so I didn't ask when it was changed last. Will I be able to tell when to change it? Will it burn out or be dimmer? I was planning to change it at the end of May just in case it hadn't been changed recently.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First please post a pic of your tank set up and the lighting-- we can better help then
Karrie

Rosalin81

Original Poster
103962-2896964462.jpg

Her basking spot is 100. She seems to like it that hot as she will usually turn darker while basking. Her cool side is low 70s. She doesn't have a salad this morning as she ate 8 roaches in 5 minutes last night. Usually after a feast like that she skips a day of food when offered.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I see its in the tank -- what kind of UVB is it--brand? And if she ate all those roaches last nite did she have time to bask before lights went out -- like 2 hrs? You can always offer her the salad in the afternoon -- but you want to make sure your feeding her 2 hrs prior to shutting lights off-- I can see why she skips a day roaches are very filling-- I need to know what brand the UVB is-- it should say on the bulb then I can answer the question as to when to change it out -- and no you wont be able to tell - the rays get weaker but we cant see that -- see what brand the bulb is on the bulb itself
Karrie

Rosalin81

Original Poster
Just got home to check the light. Here's a picture of what is in the bulb. This was what was in her set up when I got her. The previous owners also gave me a reptisun t10 bulb. She was forced to stay up an extra 30 minutes last night to digest. I assume she's healthy overall. She's active and alert when out and just had a healthy poop in the bath. I just want to keep her healthy!
103962-1297393390.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry I cant read what it says- if you can look at the bulb and see what it is -- if not I would change it out to the 10.0 bulb - and make note of when you changed it out - I am assuming its a T 8 meaning they need to be changed out every 6 months-- what size tank is she in? It looks like a 40?
Karrie

Rosalin81

Original Poster
She's in an xterra xlarge tank 36 x 18 x 24 I believe. I'm going to try to get her a larger tank eventually, but she gets at least an hour of outside the tank on a leash time most days. I'll change the light out just to be safe. Too bad someone doesn't make a bulb with a uv meter.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5's are pretty strong from what I understand and if you have a wide hole screen on top it can go on top if its the T 8 will need to go inside the tank -- approx 8-10 inches from where she sits-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom