Regarding UVB tube fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdyBeardy

I'm currently upgrading my beardies' enclosures and in doing so I'm getting better lighting. They are in 40g breeder tanks. I was using 18" Reptisun 10.0 T8's for the UVB but I'm switching to 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5 tubes. My current question is, do I need a specific type of fixture to get the most out of these, or will any fixture that fits the tubes work?

WeirdyBeardy

Original Poster
Ok, cool, thank you for the info!

Another question that occured to me: Since the new tubes are T5 and the fixture has a reflector, do I still need to mount it inside the cage, or would on top suffice (sitting on a mesh cage cover)? I just want to make sure I'm doing right by these lovelies I have!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The t5 is strong enough to sit on top I'd a screen. If it's on top you just want to make sure you're basking area can get close enough to it. Also depends on how fine your screen is. The finer the screen, the more uvb gets filtered.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
^ yep. It depends on the screen. With a good reflector/fixture they can usually sit around 10'' above the main basking area while sitting on a screen. Without a screen it's more like 12-14'' (but these are general estimates).

WeirdyBeardy

Original Poster
Excellent, just what I needed to know.

Thank you both so very much! Reflectors have shipped, so tomorrow I'll be able to finish their homes. My beardies thank you as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom