Cool side question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello hello!

I’ve had Bucky for about 2 months now. He’s doing great! I do have a question though. He mainly hangs out under the basking bulb alll day, he rarely goes to the cool side of the tank. My infrared thermometer is measuring the hot side between 100-110 degrees, and the cool side is between 75-80 degrees. We even added some small logs on the cool side last week hoping it would get his attention but he only hangs out on them for like 2 minutes. With it being summer time and the air conditioner on, should I consider getting a ceramic heat emmiter for the cool side? Or even a low wattage household bulb?

Here is Bucky, and a picture of my tank, it’s an older picture, all we’ve added is more logs on the cool side and raised his big log a little higher for him on the hot side.

103486-9302774737.jpg

103486-3549111840.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His UVB needs to be inside the tank --- what kind of UVB do you have? It needs to be one of these--
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
My guess is hes not getting enough UVB -- the screen is filtering out alot of those rays- and another thing he cant get to it as well ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moro spends 99% of her time on her basking rock too. Her tank is very simple for now with nothing on the cool side really so that could be it too. It's not something to worry about really imo. What is the temp specifically where yours spends most of the time?

I agree the uvb should be under the mesh unless it's the t5 ho or the Arcadia.

-Brandon

VioletEclair

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3hnwcfvg said:
His UVB needs to be inside the tank --- what kind of UVB do you have? It needs to be one of these--
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
My guess is hes not getting enough UVB -- the screen is filtering out alot of those rays- and another thing he cant get to it as well ---
Karrie

The UVB is inside the tank, sorry it’s not a great picture! It’s 10 inches from the floor

VioletEclair

Original Poster
claudiusx":1uxeakzr said:
Moro spends 99% of her time on her basking rock too. Her tank is very simple for now with nothing on the cool side really so that could be it too. It's not something to worry about really imo. What is the temp specifically where yours spends most of the time?

I agree the uvb should be under the mesh unless it's the t5 ho or the Arcadia.

-Brandon

It goes between 100-110 depending if the air conditioner is on.
UVB is inside the tank, it just looks like it’s not because of the mesh xD

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What kind of UVB??? also is a big behavior thing-- he needs to be able to sit under it - from the pics it does not look like he can sit under it--
-
Karrie

VioletEclair

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1vt6z54v said:
What kind of UVB??? also is a big behavior thing-- he needs to be able to sit under it - from the pics it does not look like he can sit under it--
-
Karrie

It’s the T8, I got it before I found out about the T5, so I had my husband lower it in the tank, thinking about putting it down another inch. Here’s his updated tank.
103486-9174481462.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As long as your temp is not dropping below 65 at nite you should be okay--- does he have a hide?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom