Basking spot/over all temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrap

I’m really struggling with trying to find the best heat lamp bulb. I’ve got a brand new UVB bulb but I just can’t seem to figure out which basking bulb I need. My beardie is in a fairly large custom built wood enclosure and I need a bulb that’s going to keep his temps high enough. What’s the best basking bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post pictures of your enclosure please--- I dont know of anyone that is the best --- it is trial and error-- a picture of the tank would help
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Trial and error really. You just need it to be a white light that produces the heat you need. In one of my custom builts i'm using 50w reptile basking bulb. In another tank i'm using a 60w household bulb. In some peoples tanks they use 100w bulbs. Too many variables, you're just going to have to see what works for you.

-Brandon

Sierrap

Original Poster
hes in a 40 gallon glass tank right now but i am in the middle of finishing his new tank which is a 4X4X4 plywood enclosure, the lights will be hanging down inside the tank. the wood is lined with waterproof fiberglass enforced plastic for prime humidity and heat insulation, i will post a picture of the new tank as soon as it is finished.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
That’s a big enclosure! Post pics when it is done for sure. I would like to see. It will just be trial and error with the right combo of bulbs and ceramic heat emitters if you need them. You can always put the CHEs on a thermostat to keep the perfect temperature. I have 4x2x2 custom enclosures and get good temps with a 50 watt ExoTerra intense basking bulb and my reptisun UVB. You can also put your basking bulb on a dimmer too so you have some control over that as well. Moral of the story though is trial and error. The bigger the enclosure the more you will have unless you just get lucky right of the bat.
103523-3805105221.jpg

Sierrap

Original Poster
this is the only picture of it i have right now as it isn't done yet. hahaha. spiderwebbed the plexie glass so have to wait to buy a new piece to try again, (if you have any tips for drilling holes in plexie, let me know lol!) but i do have a picture of the front face that i did some painting on. my boy Zeus is a big dude lol. he is about 15 inches nose to tail. he is on the very energetic side of the spectrum so he needs lots of space because i can't let him out all the time. he is a 2 year old male and i have been told by a friend who breeds and raises beardies that he isn't even to his full length yet
101074-3286619866.jpg

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Looking nice so far. When you drill the plexi put some masking tape on the area you are drilling. When drilling use a spray bottle and spray the spot you are drilling to cool it down as you go. Keep it wet and cooling or else it will spiderweb. Start by drilling a pilot hole smaller than your final hole. Then drill the pilot hole to final size. Spray water the hole time while drilling.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom