Home improvement store heat lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Hey guys I have a question. I am getting ready to set up a larger enclosure for my leopard gecko, and was thinking about using a heat lamp for heating him. I know people use lamps from Home Depot Lowe’s etc to heat bearded dragons and was just wondering if anyone has experience/thoughts on their use. The main thing I’m worried about is how much light they emit since leopard geckos need 24 hour eat. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The fixture is just a fixture. The amount of heat it puts out will depend largely on the bulb you put it the main consideration is that whatever fixture you get is rated for the wattage bulb you are using. Sometimes those fixtures are only rated for 50w so you will want to check before using them. But there isnt really a difference between home improvement store ones and reptile ones. If using for heat I'd make sure it has a ceramic socket as opposed to a plastic socket.

-Brandon

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I actually meant the bulb, sorry for the confusion. Do you know how much heat/light they emit?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh well the same holds true, each one is different and they all run at different temps depending on your house temp and type of fixture. Luckily they are cheap so it doesn't hurt to try a couple until you find the bulb that produces the temperature you need. I usually use normal household bulbs.

-Brandon

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok and what about light-wise. Do they all emit lots of light or can you get some low or no light bulbs?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I try to find a halogen bulb that has a nice wide beam (BR30, BR40, PAR38, etc) and a high lumen output. I like my 1790 lumen bulbs because they're pretty bright. Some of the low power bulbs won't provide enough heat or light. Best to try some different ones out and measure how they work in your enclosure.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I was thinking about using a ceramic heat emitter, I was just trying to find a cheaper option. It only needs to be around 80° but it can’t emit light.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
CHE works too, but they get VERY hot to the touch and pose a burn risk. The heat projectors will direct a good amount of heat and don't get nearly as hot on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom