Substrate Advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldemarco

I just got a juvenile Beardie (only 4-5" long). I made a mistake and got ground walnut shells as a substrate for it, and I'm looking to change it out before any damage is done. I used slate stone to cover most of the walnut shells, and will be feeding in a separate area to minimize risk for now. So here is my question:
1. Is play sand safe for a beardie this small?
2. If it is, does anyone have a link to order said sand.
3. When the beardie grows larger, is it ever considered safe to use calcium sand, or any other loose substrate?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm used to keeping Ball Pythons, and other than a leopard gecko which I had on slate tile, this is my first lizard.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recommend you get that walnut shell out ASAP--- you can use non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic slated tile --- both are cheap and easy to clean----- for now I would remove that walnut shell and put paper towels in there --- you can get the slated tile from Home Depot or Lowes etc as the shelf liner too --- for $13 I put tile in my 120 gallon tank
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Agree with KarrieRee, I'd ditch the walnut shells ASAP and put down newspaper until you can go with one of her suggestions. One nice thing about tile is that it's cheap & you can normally get the hardware box store folks to cut a piece or two to size so you get a good fit. I have pet-resistant carpet under mine & have found that to work too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Eldemarco":3vmzqoti said:
I just got a juvenile Beardie (only 4-5" long). I made a mistake and got ground walnut shells as a substrate for it, and I'm looking to change it out before any damage is done. I used slate stone to cover most of the walnut shells, and will be feeding in a separate area to minimize risk for now.

Walnut shells are lethal , they need to be ditched (into the trash can) IMMEDIATELY. They are not suitable for ANY REPTILE to be forced to live on.

So here is my question:
1. Is play sand safe for a beardie this small?
<<< a lot of beardie breeders and keepers here in AUSTRALIA use Bunnings' PlaySand even for the youngest hatchlings , they claim they have no issue with impaction using this material.
They also fall into the trap of thinking the natural range of bearded dragons in the wild is sandy. This is only so for about 10% of the natural range of bearded dragons.
My preference for hatchlings is to use kitchen grade paper towels as the bedding. Makes for very easy clean up and if you put it down in a few layers, it's not hard on there arms & legs when they leap about.

2. If it is, does anyone have a link to order said sand.
<<< If you are in Australia , try Bunnings or Mitre10 , comes in a 20 kg bag.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-20kg-play-sand_p3022506 (this is essentially sand taken from river banks , is silica sand which has no sharp corners)

3. When the beardie grows larger, is it ever considered safe to use calcium sand, or any other loose substrate?
<<<< Calcium Sand aka VitaSand aka CalciSand is NEVER safe for any lizards to live on PERIOD.
<<<< better off sticking to either paper towels or loosely laid tiles.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm used to keeping Ball Pythons, and other than a leopard gecko which I had on slate tile, this is my first lizard.

Eldemarco

Original Poster
Walnut shells are ditched, Using reptile carpet in the small tank while building the larger one. The large tank will use play sand / topsoil mix on top of polystyrene, with a middle feeding platform, and a 1ft high basking platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom